Sections are managed only after master scheduling has been completed. Schedules are site-specific, so verify your Control Panel is set to the site level and not the district.
Examples of when you might Edit or Delete Live Sections:
Edit: A new teacher replaces the teacher who goes on an extended leave.
Delete/Merge: This occurs under very rare instances (usually prior to the start of the school year). Check with your Illuminate district admin before you perform this action.
The ability to create, edit, merge, and delete sections is permission controlled. In order to perform any of these tasks, you must have permissions enabled. Please contact your Illuminate system admin for assistance.
Proceed with caution! Any changes you make will take effect immediately. These changes will affect Gradebook and attendance data for students. Deleting and merging sections will remove all Gradebook and attendance data.
Where to Start
1. Click Scheduling.
2. Select Live Sections.
Once on the Section List:
1. Filter By Course- You can use these District, Course or Teacher filters to quickly find a course.
2. Show Inactive Sections - This defaults "No" but can be changed to "Yes" to let you see sections that have no teacher active in reference to the "As of" date
3. Show Counts - This defaults to "Yes" but can be changed to "No." When set to "Yes," this will show you the count of students rostered to the course(s) linked to the section. Note: If set to "Yes" and school is not in session, the Course column will show blank for the section because there are no active students yet.
4. As of - This date can be changed to show the active status and counts as of the date entered here
5. Submit - If you choose to filter using any of the options above, you will need to click "Submit" to update the results on the page.
6. Edit a section simply by clicking on the Pencil Icon.
7. Delete a section by clicking on the blue Trash Can icon.
Remember you are editing a LIVE section, changed will take effect immediately!
From this page you can edit the basic information, such as section name, courses, current teacher, room, house, language of instruction, etc.
Be sure to click Save after any changes you make.
At the top of the page you can navigate to Edit Teachers, Move Students, Merge Sections, Close Sections, or Edit Students.
1. Click on Edit Teachers to view the teachers that are linked to the section
2. If adding a teacher, click the drop down menu to Select a Teacher to Add to the section
3. Enter the Start Date and End Date where the teacher will be active with the section (these dates also impact the date range in which a section is considered active)
4. Indicate if the teacher added is the Primary Teacher of the section, AKA the teacher on record for the section. This will impact state reporting. There can only be 1 primary teacher for a section during a given date range.
5. Click Save
1. Click on Move Students
2. From Course - select the course you are moving/transferring students from
3. Effective Leave Date - select the last day the students are expected to be rostered to the course you selected in step 2
4. Student Selection - use All Students when moving all students rostered as of the effective leave date in the selected course or use Select Students if you are only transferring some of the students rostered as of the effective leave date in the selected course (if you choose Select Students, you will see a list of students where you can mark which students you want to move)
5. To Section - select the target section/course the students are moving/transferring to. The entry date for students in that new section/course will follow the next in-session school day after the effective leave date you selected in step 3
6. Click Save
1. Click Edit Students
2. Select the students you want to drop/unschedule from the section/course
3. Select your As Of date - this is the last day students are expected to be rostered to this section/course
4. Click Unschedule Student
When unscheduling students, it is important to select the correct "as of date." If the date needs to be edited, the only way to change this is on a per student basis using Student Schedule History
1. Click Place Students
2. As of Date - this is the first day the student is expected to show in this section/roster
3. Click Find Students
4. Select the checkbox next to the student(s) you are wanting to schedule into this section/course. The list of Available Students depends on students that have a space in their schedule. Available means the student does not have a section in their schedule that is in the same timeblock and course on the As of Date you selected in step 2
5. Click Schedule Students
If you find you have 2 sections in the same timeblock, term(s), and grade setup that should show as 1 section, they can be merged. For example, if you have 12 students in one section and 3 in another, and find they should be combined into 1 instead, then the sections can be merged.
1. Click Merge Sections
2. Enter your search criteria
3. Select the section and click on the arrows icon to merge
4. Illuminate will verify if the sections can be merged
5. Click Submit
Proceed with caution. The merging of sections cannot be undone.
If you find you need to close sections (make these permanently inactive moving forward), follow these steps:
1. Click Close Section
2. Select your Close Date - this is the date you want all students exited (last day in course) from the section and also the end date for the teacher at the same time.
3. Click Submit
Once a section is closed, it will be deactivated as of the date selected and this cannot be undone beyond that date.