After School Attendance Programs can be created and managed two different ways:
1. To create a new site for all After School Attendance Programs and manage students and attendance in this new site.
2. To manage After School Attendance within each existing site.
This document will cover using After School Attendance Programs within each existing site, as this setup is the trickiest to get right and the one most likely to impact Regular ADA. Please contact your Implementation Manager before beginning the ASES setup in order to ensure this setup will work for your use case.
Where to Start
To begin, you will need to create an After School Funding Category Group. This will enable you to separate ASES or any After School Programs from you regular attendance.
1. Click on the Admin Cog and select Code Management.
2. Use the dropdown menu to find Attendance Funding Category Group and click Load.
3. Click Add Code.
Attendance Program Creation
Once the steps under 'Where to Start' are complete, please contact your Implementation Manager and request that an After School Attendance Program and an Attendance Program Set be created.
- Click on Attendance > Attendance Programs > Add Program > Select Type and Funding Category Group (After School). Then, add a Title, select After School Funding Category, and corresponding grades (leave minutes blank) > Save .
After the Attendance Program and Program Set have been created, it will be necessary to create ASES Specific Attendance Flags. These additional flags will enable us to quickly separate ASES marks from regular marks on reports and, if necessary, identify errors during the Take Attendance process.
- Select Admin Cog > Attendance Flags > Add Flag .
- Create ASES Present (with apportionment).
- Create ASES Absent (without apportionment) .
- Set the Precedence for each flag such that each flag is at the bottom of their corresponding category.
After the Attendance Marks have been created, you will need to create a non-primary After School Timeblock, and also add a Timeblock Occurrence.
- Admin Cog > Timeblock Management > Add Timeblock (for corresponding site) .
- Admin Cog > Timeblock Management > Click on the Calendar icon next to the newly created After School Timeblock > Add Timeblock Occurrence for each day type.
Next, Create a non-state reported After School Course to ensure that this course and section will not be included on any state reported extracts. Select Scheduling > Course Details > Add Course .
Now that the section exists, you can schedule students into the Section.
- If doing this for individual students, you can schedule them into the section using Schedule 2.0. Select Students > Schedule 2.0 > Choose desired date > Choose After School period > Search .
- If doing this for multiple students, you can schedule them into the section using Place Students. Click Scheduling > Live Sections > Search for After School section > Click Edit > Select Place Students .
After students have been placed into their sections, users can begin taking attendance for the After School Program. Once attendance has been taken, users can run the ADA report specifically for the After School Program.
To do this, click Attendance > Daily ADA > Choose the corresponding Reporting Periods > Select the After School Funding Category Group > Select After School > Click Run.
The Cumulative attendance report does not work for after school attendance.
For reporting, use the Class Summary and select the appropriate periods, or use the Student Summary Report. Additionally, Search Records can be used and filtered to just show the ASES Present and Absent marks. These results can then be exported to excel. There are no prebuilts specifically for ASES at this time.
The ASES Period attendance can have an impact on the student’s all day mark. Due to this, it is important that the ASES marks are used, as this will make it easier to rectify mistakes. Additionally, IF A STUDENT IS ABSENT DURING THE SCHOOL DAY, THE STUDENT MUST BE MARKED ABSENT DURING THE ASES PERIOD. THIS WILL IMPACT ADA IF A STUDENT IS MARKED PRESENT IN THE ASES CLASS BUT WAS ABSENT DURING THE SCHOOL DAY, AS THE STUDENT’S ALL DAY MARK WILL REFLECT THE ASES PRESENT.