This lesson outlines the steps you will need to take to setup Summer School correctly in Illuminate DnA.
If you have never created Summer School Terms before, send a ticket to email@example.com to have your terms created. Please provide the Site ID, Term Name, and Term Dates for the summer school(s).
Before You Begin
Determine which sites will be hosting summer school and the dates for the summer school sessions. Summer school terms and regular academic year terms shouldn't overlap, so make sure that the start date for summer school is AFTER the last day of the regular academic year and the end date is BEFORE the first day of the next year.
Some districts create separate school sites in their Student Information System that are used only for summer school, e.g. Thomas Jefferson Elementary Summer School. If you're using a completely different site for your summer school session (i.e. a site that's not in session during the regular academic year), please visit Create/Edit a Site to review how to create a new site in Illuminate.
Where to Begin
- Click the Administration Gear.
- Under Calendar, click Term Manager.
- Check the box to include Summer School Terms.
- Choose the current summer term. e.g. 2019 Summer for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Click Load.
If you've already created some summer school terms for this year, you'll see them listed and have the option to create additional terms using the Create Terms button at the bottom of the page. If you haven't created any terms for the summer session, you'll be prompted to create your terms.
Choose from Option 1 or Option 2:
- Option 1: Copy with adjustment will create terms automatically according to the number of days adjustment you enter in.
- Option 2: Copy and manually build will allow you to manually adjust dates for each summer school site.
- Once you've created all summer school terms, remember to Clean and Re-align your Data using the button at the bottom of the page.
Prepare and Upload Your Data
Uploading data files for summer school is essentially the same as it is during the regular academic year, with a few adjustments. While the specific scripts for each district will be different, here are some general guidelines:
- Your summer school import should include the following core data files: Courses, Users, Studemo, Enrollment, Mastschd, and Roster.
- You'll need to change the Session Type ID value in your Enrollment, Mastschd, and Roster files from 1 to 2. If the session type is not specified, the default value is 1 and your summer school data will not import correctly.
You should manually import your summer school data files using the validation only option before processing a live import or automating the data. To review this process, see the guide Processing a One-Time Import.
Re-Enable Your Automation (Optional)
When the normal academic year ends, the automation profile is shut off until the rollover process is completed. If you'd like your automation profile to import your summer school data nightly, do the following:
- Click the Administration Gear.
- Under Data, select Core Data Automation Profiles.
- Locate the appropriate automation profile (most sites will have a single automation profile).
- Under the Action column, click Edit.
- Check the box for Enable.
- Set the End on date of the automation profile to the last day of Summer School.
- Click Update.
Now that you have set up Summer School in Illuminate, make sure your Summer School Staff and Sites have the correct roles, permissions, and affiliations. Visit DnA: Site Management for more details. When Summer school ends, you'll want to complete the rollover process. Visit Rollover to the Next Academic Year for DNA for more details.