Once completed The Board displays the entire master schedule with teacher names, as well as the sections for each teacher (a display that you may filter by department or timeblock/period).
Where to Start
1. You must be logged in under the school year and site for which you are impacting scheduling. Note (in the upper-right corner of your screen) that you are now logged in under the upcoming school year.
2. If you are not, use the Change Student Set / Site in the upper corner of your screen to log in under the upcoming school year.
1. Click on the Scheduling tab.
2. Under Draft Schedule Management, click The Draft Board.
Before using the Draft Board:
Before using the Illuminate board, take time to ensure that all Schedule Constraints are up-to-date. The board will return better schedules if the constraints are accurate. Re-check the following constraints:
- Ensure that all student course requests are accurate.
- Complete the Teacher-Course Availability
- Complete the Teacher-Timeblock Availability
- Ensure that all student course requests are accurate.
- Ensure that the Course Tally has the correct max capacities and the correct number of sections for each course have been created
The first time that you visit the Draft Board page it will be empty. If you used the Course Tally in the previous lesson to create sections in bulk they are waiting for you in the Place sections dropdown menu on this page.
1. To assign a section (i.e., place it on the Board), click on Place Sections. At this point you can decide to have Illuminate automatically place sections for you or you can manually place sections on your board.
2. Option 1 - The board will use Course Requests and Schedule Constraints to place Sections on the board. The Legacy and Next Generation Board Builders will attempt to minimize student scheduling conflicts. See steps below for additional information.
3. Option 2: The Next Generation Board Builder uses enhanced scheduling logic to place all Singletons, Doubletons, Tripletons, and everything else at once. It strives to minimize Course Request conflicts. BETA NOTICE: The Next Generation Board Builder is still in beta. If you have any feedback, please send it to: email@example.com
4. Or, if additional sections are needed you can click, Create a section for on the fly section creation.
Option 1 (Using the Builder):
Legacy Master Schedule Board Builder
The legacy board builder uses a 4-step process to assign sections to teachers and periods. The legacy board builder is designed to place singletons, doubletons, tripletons, and everything else in four distinct steps. This allows you to adjust section assignments between each step. The legacy schedule board can be a useful tool when used for placing a large number of sections manually.
When placing singletons, doubletons, tripletons or everything else (multi-tons) you will be taken to this Run Master Scheduler page. Input how long you would like to run the scheduler for, or if you would like to 'Start Fresh'. Then click submit.
NOTE: The Draft Board Scheduler will not automatically assign room numbers to sections in mass. In order to mass assign room numbers, navigate to Scheduling > Draft Sections and select Actions > Mass Update. Click here to see the help document on Mass Updates.
Next Generation Master Schedule Board Builder
The next generation board builder uses enhanced scheduling logic to place all singletons, doubletons, tripletons, and everything else at once. It strives to minimize course request conflicts. BETA NOTICE: The next generation board builder is still in beta. If you have any feedback, please send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Option 2 (Manual Placement):
1. If you already have an idea about where you want sections then you may opt to manually place sections, Click Place sections.
2. Select the section to be place from the Sections to be placed drop-down menu
3. Select a Teacher, Room, Period, and Term for which you would like to assign the section.
4. Click Save.
Create a Section
If you did not select a section to be placed from the dropdown menu, and clicked Create a section instead, you will get this pop up. We recommend if you are creating multiple sections, do not do it from this page, this is typically for a small number of additions. See the document 'Create, Edit, Merge and Delete a Section' for more information on creating multiple sections.
1. Select a Room for which you would like to assign the section.
2. Course(s) to be linked to this section.
3. Select a Teacher for which you would like to assign the section.
5. Select the Period(s) you want this section to take place.
6. Click Save.
*House is optional.
View the Board
Notice that teacher names are featured at the bottom of the page. However, you may opt to use the Filter function to narrow down the list of teachers you are viewing below.
Option: Use the Filter- These filters can be used individually or in conjunction with each other to narrow down list results.
- Department filter - if you only want teachers within that departments to appear on the list below.
- Period filter- (All Periods vs. Primary Periods, as in an earlier step/lesson you selected "Is Primary" for periods that are part of the "main" bell schedule, as opposed to things like 0 period or after-school periods that are not part of the main bell schedule)
- Course filter- if you only want to see a specific course to show up on the list below.
- Teacher filter- if you only want to see specific teachers on the list below.
Click Filter. Notice how the list of teachers is reduced. Keep in mind that districts vary in terms of their use of department labels. If nothing happens, or if no teachers appear under an appropriate department, it could be that your district has not yet assigned department labels to its teachers or courses.
Option: Remove Filter Criteria
If you later want to remove a filter, simply select Reset and then click Filter. Notice how the list of teachers has expanded to include all teachers.
If your Board is empty, it merely means no sections have yet been scheduled. Otherwise:
1. All Teachers scheduled to teach for the upcoming school year are listed in alphabetical order (by last name), with the sections they are teaching arranged by period after their names.
2. Section information- Course ID, Name. Clicking the blue arrow will allow you to 'Edit Section' and 'Empty Section'- delete students from sections, only if no data (i.e. attendance, GradeBook) is tied to it.
3. House- if the course is associated with a House it will state that here.
4. Periods/Timeblocks- Each section that is already scheduled appears on the Board to the right of the teacher who is scheduled to teach it, a green checkmark in a period denotes that the course is scheduled during that period. Click the section number to view section details, such as students scheduled to take it, these students' gender counts, and an edit icon that allows you to edit section information. If you previously designated that a section takes up more than one period, it will span more than one period column on the Board.
5. Terms- counts for each term/semester broken down by grade level, total, and seats left.
6. Edit Section, Copy Students, Delete Students- Edit section will take you to the section information page. See below for more info on copying students. Delete students will empty the section, as long as no Attendance or GradeBook data is tied to it.
Notice the line between terms for each teacher. If the teacher was slated to teach a different course/section for each term, you would see this line continue to the right (as indicated by the red arrow, above), and a different course/section would appear above and below the line. Because you do not see this above, it indicates that all teachers shown are scheduled to follow the same schedule for both terms.
If you previously designated (during a previous step/lesson) a teacher as unavailable to teach during a particular period, that period will show up grey for the teacher.
If you clicked the blue arrow as indicated above under #6, and selected 'Copy Students' you will receive the pop-up window pictured here.
1. Select the section(s) you wish to copy the students to.
2. Click Copy Students.
NOTE: When a set of students are copied it will clear any other students that were previously placed in the sections being copied to. Also, when students are copied to a section it will remove previously scheduled section enrollment if a timeblock conflict exists.
Toggle Board allows you to view the board in a different manner. The image on top is the default view which gives course information in its own column at left. The image on bottom is the toggled view, which shows a compressed list of teachers with course information in the period columns.
If you like a specific view, click 'Set View' to make it your default.
If you need to make changes to sections after they have already been placed on the board, click on the section number (as circled above) of a section you want to edit.