This lesson will guide you through setting up an online assessment using a quick access code. Quick codes allow you to assign a test without having to select which students should have access.
This option allows students to directly start the assessment and bypasses the Student Portal login. When enabled, it generates a 7-character access code for students to log into illuminate.online (re-directs to https://testing.illuminateed.com/auth/quick). Once students confirm their student ID, SSID, portal username, or email address and access code, the test begins.
Required Permission: Online Testing - Create Quick Rosters
If you want students to sign into the Student Portal first, see the guide Online Testing Setup Using the Student Portal.
- Consider asking your IT team to install shortcuts to illuminate.online on the devices students will use the take the assessment. This will help your students navigate to the quick link without typing the web address into their browsers.
- This option is a great way to quickly get started for teachers in the moment, on the fly, using technology in the classroom to assess students. It is important to offer strong training opportunities where they can practice before conducting in their classroom.
- The Student Portal still stores all assessment data and student progress. This is just a quick way for students and teachers to get started with online testing. They can always use this tool and then edit their Administration Settings for the roster created.
1. Add a Quick Roster
- Click the Test with Quick Code button to create a testing session.
- A roster will appear in the list of Active Administrations.
- An Access Code is generated and the test is now available for online testing.
- Click Edit to adjust any online testing settings.
- Testing Window Start: Determines the date and time students can start accessing the assessment.
- Testing Window End: Determines the date and time the students can no longer access the assessment.
Select Show to open Online Testing - Administration Settings. These settings allow you to customize when in the administration window this test is available as well as if this test requires a secure testing environment. You can also add an inline test booklet for hybrid or flexible assessments so the test booklet does not have to be printed out.
Time of Day Window:
- All Day: The assessment is available all day throughout the Testing Window Start and End Dates.
- Daily Window: The assessment is available for a certain window of time throughout the Testing Window Start and End Dates.
- Time Duration: Sets a time limit for the student assessment. Default value: 0.
- Student Pauses: Allows students to pause the assessment in progress for a quick break (e.g. restroom break, recess). Default value: 3.
CR Input Method (Constructed Response):
- Online Entry: Students will see a box to type their answers.
- Written: Disables online testing boxes so students cannot type their answers.
- Open: Students can access the assessment instantly.
- Password: Requires students to enter a password the first time students access the assessment. The password is not required if they continue the test in another testing session.
- Any Browser / Device: Students can access the assessment on any browser or device.
- Lockdown Browser Only: Students must access the assessment using a Lockdown Browser application installed on their devices. This prevents students from opening new tabs while logged into the assessment.
- Test Booklet (Hybrid and Flexible Assessments Only): Select the test booklet students need to see alongside their online bubble sheet.
Randomize Answer Choices (Itembank Assessments Only):
- Normal Choice Order: Displays the answer choices in the default order outlined by the answer key.
- Randomize Choice Order: Displays shuffled answer choices for each question. The question order remains the same based on the answer key.
Locked Browser Only: The browser feature is permission-based and will only be seen on the screen if enabled by a System Administrator. In order to use this feature, specific set up is required. To learn more about our Locked Browser, visit Enabling Locked Browsers for Online Testing.
Select Show to open Online Testing Tool Settings. These settings provide students with tools to assist in answering questions during the assessment.
Each tool has a variety of options on how it is assigned to students to utilize during the assessment:
- By default, Itembank items are set to Use Item Settings.
- Enable will turn on the tool and make it available to use for all items.
- Disable will turn off the tool and it will not be made available, even if the tool is part of the item setting.
- By default, the Digital Notepad and Strikethrough are available for students in their toolbar during the assessment.
To learn more about the online testing tools, see the guide Online Testing Tools Library.
What does Use Item Setting mean? When using content item banks to build your assessments, the authors have previously selected tools to be used for the item. By default, if items are tied to a specific tool, they are automatically turned on throughout the assessment. If you select Enable, you are turning that tool on for every item on the assessment.
3. Administer the Test (Student View)
- Direct students to illuminate.online.
- Student Log In: Enter a Local Student ID, SSID, email address, or Portal username.
- Access Code: Enter the Access Code from the online testing roster.
- Click Next.
- Have the student confirm the Assessment Details and Student Details to ensure they are correct.
- Click the Confirm button to access the assessment.