This lesson will guide you through the process of grading a constructed response item that was on an assessment administered online. This means that students typed in a response, which Illuminate stores, but does not grade for a user. The user must manually enter these scores.
There are two ways to see these scores for grading.
Where to Start
1. Select the Assessments tab.
2. Click List Assessments.
3. Once in your list of assessments, find the assessment you need to grade responses for, click on the title.
Once in the Assessment Overview:
4. Click on Administration.
5. Select Enter/Edit.
Entering Data for a Constructed Response
1. Use the dropdown menus to specify what students you want to enter data for.
2. Click Find Students.
Entering Constructed Response Data using the 'By Question' page (Recommended)
This will have you land on the GRID page, select 'By Question' at the top of the page. The 'By Question' view will show you a list of your students, scoring column, and the student response to the question.
1. Read the students response.
2. If you need to review the question and scoring rubric, click on Question Info and the question/rubric will show in a pop up window.
3. To make annotations on the text that will display in the Student Portal for Assessment Review, select a word(s) and use the pop up box tools to leave quick corrective notes, or click on 'Write' (Red 'Write' will display as a negative comment, Green 'Write' is a positive comment) to write your own comment on the response.
4. Input the student's score in the scoring column.
5. Make sure to Save as you go if Autosave is not selected.
6. To navigate to another Constructed Response item, simply use the Arrow keys at the top of the page.
7. Optional: You can enter a Comment for the student here that will display to them when they are reviewing an assessment in their student portal.
What this looks like in the Student Portal:
Entering Constructed Response Data using the Grid
Once you've followed steps 1-5 under 'Where to Start', you should have landed on the 'Grid' page. To access CR items, click the Constructed Response button at the top right corner of your page.
The page will refresh to the first CR question.
1. Read Student respones under 'Student Response'. Note: To see the original question, click Show Question at the top of the page.
2. Enter scores in the column labelled 'Q__'.
3. To navigate to another CR question, click on the arrows next to Q__.
4. Click Save often.