This lesson will guide users through using the Illuminate Parent Portal to register a student. Office-Initiated means that the office will start the registration process for a new student. Then there are two paths to continue and confirm registrations:
- Option 1: The office will provide the primary parent with a Parent Portal account to continue the registration process online as opposed to in person.
- Option 2: The office can choose to continue registeration in person which would be the Create and Enroll a Student. This would mean the parent will not submitted any preregsitration information online using the portal.
Before You Get Started
This workflow is when parents visit the office in person to register and initiated the process with you. While you start their process, they will receive portal account information to then access their Parent Portal account.
The url provided by the district will be similar to... _____.illuminatehc.com/register.
Because parents have started the process with you, they are technically not new or using the _____.illuminateHC.com/preregister link. You have already started the process for them so they visit the portal link to register and confirm their portal account.
If you are interested in using office initiated online pre-registration please contact your Implementation Manager so that they can turn on an extra Illuminate side configuration. Parent initiated online pre-registration will not activate without this configuration.
How Parents Request to Pre-Register in the Office/Site
This is the workflow for parents/students who are completely new to the District, with no existing or current siblings attending. The Office beings the request to preregister their student(s) by submitting basic information which include email, address, and birthdate. Based on these critical pieces of information, the parent receives a portal account and access code to then continue preregistration online.
Parent Request to Preregister Student(s) in person:
1. Go to Students > Create a New Student
2. Use the search criteria as a way to avoid duplicates such as Last Name, First Name, Middle Name, Birth Date, State Student ID, and the check box Include Pre-Registered Students.
Now that Preregistration is part of your enrollment process, it is advised now use the Include Pre-Registered Students checkbox as part of your search criteria before creating a new student.
3. Press Search to see results. Office staff performs a pre-search to make sure the student does not already exist in the system.
- If search criteria entered finds a student in the results, students who are already in the pre-registration process are highlighted blue. The student link will take you directly to their current pre-registration form and information using the Pre-Registration tools. This also means the process has already started for that student.
- You can also use the search bar to such more specifically or just for (in this sample) "pre-registered" students.
From this point, you would visit Manage Pre-registered Students to continue with the approval process.
- Based on the search crtieria entered, if the student is not found, then no results will display.
- Select Pre-Register Student to begin.
What is the difference between Create New Student vs. Pre-Register Student?
Create a New Student is a workflow that is 100% manual by the user. The fields and information you enter through this path, is NOT tied to the Pre-Registration tools. The form or information entered to create a student is from your Registration Builder.
Pre-Register Student is a workflow that is tied to the Pre-Registration tools and online forms you create for parents to complete on the portal. Only the details to register are completed by a user and the remaining information is completed by the parent online.
With the parent's assistance, complete the Pre-Registration Details:
- Select the appropriate school site This should follow your visiblity by default
- Choose the appropriate academic year ending with the Spring Year (ie. 2015-2016 is 2016).
- Confirm the grade level for the student registering.
- Confirm the details by choosing Submit.
In the next screen, the Office staff fills out basic information for the student including Demographics, Primary Contact, Address, and Additional Enrollment info as pictured above for the new student.
Enter the student's demographic information as appropriate. The Birth Date will be especially important to enter correctly as a confirmation on the incoming grade level for the academic year.
Enter the contact information as appropriate, or the parent who is in front of you to pre-register their child. This is case sensitive and will help establish a Parent Portal Account.
Enter the primary contact's household address.
Select Verify to verify the address. This will confirm a USPS Postal confirmation that it is a proper mailing address.
Make sure to keep a common convention on how you treat St. vs. Street, or Apt. # vs. #. Using a variety of different ways an address is stored. Having different values, will not assist you in linking siblings properly.
But what about new siblings to existing students? Link siblings!
When filling out the address portion of the form, the system will look for households linked to the address you type in. This is why it is important to keep a common convention of how addresses are entered into Illuminate.
If the student you are registering has siblings in the district, make sure to link them to the appropriate household suggestion that lists the siblings.
To learn more about linking siblings, visit Contacts for more information.
In the above gif, you can see that once an address is verified, the next portion Enrollment is populated with the recommended site and grade level.
Using DecisionInsite, our Enrollment Boundary partner? Address verification and site recommendations are driven by your boundary maps within your DecisionInsite platform.
Based on the verified address and student birthdate, the Enrollment section by default may not to be changed.
Select SAVE on the right hand side to confirm pre-registration.
Once pre-registered, a Parent Portal Account is created for the parent to continue registration online using the Parent Portal.
If you linked the student to a household in the step above AND the parent already had a portal for their other dependents then the parent should bypass registering for a new portal and instead login to their existing portal. The new student will be added to their account.
1. Enter a valid Email Address for the primary contact, which will store as their portal username AND send them a copy of this portal information through their email.
2. Confirm the contact information entered which will be needed for portal registration. All information is case sensitive.
3. If any contact information needs to be adjusted, select Edit Contact.
4. If desired, print out a PDF or another type to hand the parent while still visiting in person.
Parents will now go to their own device, kiosk or lab provided at the site, to continue pre-registration online using the portal. They will first need to register their account and then the form will be available to them for each of their new students.
As a staff member or users, you will now use the Manage Pre-registered Students page to review incoming registrations.