This lesson will guide you through Creating an Itembank Assessment, Reviewing and Publishing an Itembank Assessment, and Creating a Quick Itembank Assessment. To review the technology needed for scanning or online testing, use our help manual Itembank.
Use this as a guide to facilitate the training in a computer lab. Show the videos before users log in or view one video at at time for users to follow along.
Before You Get Started
- All users will need to be logged into their own Illuminate account
- Lightning Grader or scanning software does not need to be downloaded and is ready to go!
- A document camera connected by USB cord must be plugged into the device to scan answer sheets. A web camera within the device or plugged in may also scan.
- For itembank assessments, it is helpful for users to have a particular standard or collection of standards they need to create an assessment for.
- To access the itembank, users will need certain permissions assigned to the, in addition to Creating an Itembank Account.
- It may also be helpful to review the
Navigation: Assessments > Create a New Assessment > Select Itembank > Select Okay
To Create an Itembank Assessment:
- Title is where to start with the information or title of the assessment
- Select standards to find appropriate items from
- Select Continue or Add Items and use filters such as Itembanks or Item Types to drill down and display more specific items to build the assessment
Remain in the existing Itembank assessment you are building, or within Illuminate, Assessments > Select Visit Itembank > Select Assessments > Select the assessment you wish to review and later publish
To Review an Itembank Assessment
- Review (1) displays items selected and offers shuffling answer choices and removing items
- Overview (2) displays the assessment in a list by numerical order, shows the itemtype and standards for each item, and any created sections
To Format the Assessment Booklet (both Student and Teacher Editions)
- Booklets (3) can be downloaded at any time during creation, but once published will be available in Illuminate as a Material within the assessment for future reference
- Select Print Options which include Font Face, Font Size, Question Spacing, Choice Spacing, Lined or Blank Formatting and Spacing for Constructed Response/Teacher Graded items, and Cover page
- Print Options can be set a default by selecting Save as a Default
- By default when selecting Generate, a student booklet will download.
- To Generate or print a Teacher Edition, may sure to select the following formatting options: Teacher Edition (Yes) AND Teacher Edition Options (select both Rationale and Attributes, to retrieve the most information to support data conversations about the items within the assessment). These options will have to be selected each time you wish to generate a Teacher Edition booklet within the itembank.
- Additional PDF Template options default to the recommended 2 columns. Some items and/or passage may have a different format as designed by the vendor or item author
To Publish an Itembank Assessment
- Publish (4) sends over a locked, published copy of the assessment to the Illuminate Assessment List, ready for administration with all materials attached
- To return to Illuminate, select Return to Illuminate (5)
After it is published, where does it go?
- If selected Return to Illuminate (5), you will be returned to the Assessment>List Assessments, seeing your newly published itembank assessment up top on the list.
- In Illuminate is where the assessment can now be Shared with users, Print Answer Sheets, Assigne to studnets for online testing, and administer as you would a Manual or On the Fly assessment
- In order to edit or change a published itembank assessment, you must duplicate, edit, and republish the assessment in the itembank
There are two paths of navigation when wanting to create a Quick Assessment:
- When in Illuminate, select Assessments > select Visit Itembank > select Create > select Create a Quick Assessment, or
- When in Itembank, select Create > select Create a Quick Assessment
Quick Itembank Assessments are best for building checkpoint or formative assessments quickly, based on a single or few standards or strands, and meant to be a "no fuss no muss" fast way to build an assessment. These assessments are not intended to remain unpublished and edited at a later time, but become final and published after being generated. There are 4 familiar steps to completing the assessment: Details (1), Select Standards (2), Select Exclusions(3), and Generate Questions (4), using Continue (5) to navigate through the screen.
- Select the Standards (2) to search for aligned items and provide the number of items for each standard (i.e., CCSS.LA.4R has 5 items, CCSS.LA.4RL.KID has 3 items, and CCSS.LA.4RL.CCR has 2 items, finding a total of 10 items on this assessment)
- Upon the Standards selected, Exclusion (3) allow the user to exclude pulling items that are in currently existing itembank assessments, either published or unpublished
- Generate Questions (4) will use both select Standards and Exclusions to automatically find items and build the assessment, providing additional options such as ReGenerate by Standard or by All Questions to redraw and find different items to create the assessment.
- Save will save the assessment as a draft, remaining in the Itembank Assessment list.
- Publish, best practice, is to lock and send the assessment to Illuminate, ready for administration