Messaging within the Student/Parent Portal is where users can have access and reply to messages from Students/Parents using the Home Connection Portal. This is a messaging feature where it would be best to contact your Implementation Manager to discuss implementation implications, confirmation of tools and resources, and additional training on the feature.
Before You Get Started
Before you get started here are few frequently asked questions about the tool:
- How does a district go about enabling messaging?: Contact your Illuminate Manager to discuss what messaging is, how it works and if it's a good fit for your district.
- Is this permissions based?: No. This is important to note. Once messaging is enabled, it is enabled for everyone, district wide.
- How is a parent notified there is an unread message?: By email. There is also an unread message count in the "Messages" tab of the portal.
- How is a user notified there is an unread message?: By email. There is also an unread message count next to the "Dashboard" link in the Illuminate header.
- Can a message be deleted after it has sent?: No, not at this time.
- Can a message be modified after it has sent?: No, not at this time.
Good To Know
The following are good-to-know items as you use this tool:
- If a user includes multiple recipients in a message, then all recipients will see all messages. Think of it as a constant "Reply All."
- Users cannot message each other. This is a feature that is in development.
- Any user (principals, teachers, admins, etc.) can message a parent/student that they have access to.
- Parents/Students can reply to a conversation started by a user that isn't a student's teacher but can only compose a message to a student's current teachers.
- There is no way to opt out of email notifications at this time.
- There is no way for users or parents to change their email address via the interface. This is in development.
- This was not built for mass messaging. Mass messaging is a separate feature that we will be working on.
Ready to start with messages? Check out Messaging via the Student/Parent Portal.