This lesson provides answers to common questions related to California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) and Illuminate.
What is CALPADS?
California Longitudinal Pupil Admin Data System. California schools report key data to the state around student enrollment, student schedules, staff info, and more.
Can I start my CALPADS validation early?
Yes! The earlier the better! We highly encourage districts to begin checking CALPADS exports as soon as possible. You can do this one the file is generated by referencing the steps outlined in the following help document: CALPADS: Data Validation Logs
How many submissions are there?
There are 3 submissions: Fall, Spring, and End of Year. Each submission requires several file exports.
How do I export my CALPADS files?
- Select Reports.
- Under Admin, click State Reporting.
The CALPADS Data Exports page is used to generate all of the files that you will need for your California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) submissions. File types include: SSID Request (SENR), Fall Enrollment (SENR), Ongoing Maintenance Enrollment (SENR), Student Information (SINF), Student Programs (SPRG), Course Section Enrollment (CRSE), Course Section Completion (CRSC), Student Course Section Enrollment (SCSE), Student Course Section Completion (SCSC), Staff Demographics (SDEM), Staff Assignments (SASS), Student Waivers (SWAV), and Student Discipline (SDIS).
For step by step documentation on CALPADS exports, please the the help document: CALPADS Export Data
Do you have CALPADS file layout documentation?
The following documents detail where the CALPADS-related data is found within Illuminate. You may download each file format individually or choose the one download that includes all the file requirements. You may also download the CALPADS Code Set, as determined by CALPADS.
How does Illuminate check for continuous enrollment?
Continuous Enrollment is determined in Illuminate if a student's Enrollment History and the School Calendar match. In other words, so long as the student is enrolled during all In Session dates for a given year of period of time, they should be considered "continuously enrolled."
I received an error in CALPADS, what do I do?
1. What is the error? Can you send us a screenshot?
2. Do you have a student or staff example?
3. Does the data exist in Illuminate for the student or staff?
4. If not, are the code tables set correctly?
How should I respond to an error message?
Here are some common errors and where to go to resolve them:
- Go to Cog Wheel.
- Under School, click Site Management.
School of Attendance does not appear to be a valid school code OR Reporting LEA does not appear to be a valid county/district code:
This error is due to an incomplete CDS code. To fix it, click the Administration cog icon on your toolbar, click the School sub-navigation tab, and click Site Management. Next, click the pencil and paper edit icon next to the school you wish to edit, and then change the school's State Site ID to the 14 digit CDS code.
- Go to Language.
- Under General, click Language Details.
Required value (LEP date) missing:
This error is usually due to an English Learner (EL) student missing a Limited English Proficiency (LEP) date, which CALPADS requires all ELs to have. To verify/enter the date, click the Language tab on your toolbar and click Language Details. Next, enter search criteria to find and open the record of the student. Click Edit Language Details, enter or edit the LEP Date, and then click Save.
- Go to Students.
- Under General, click Demographic Details.
Required value (US abroad) missing:
This error is due to the student’s birth country. Because the student was defined as born in a country outside of the U.S., the US Abroad field needs to be filled on the student demographic page. To fix it, click the Students tab on your toolbar, click the General sub-navigation tab, and click Demographic Details. Next, enter search criteria to find and open the record of the student. Find the U.S. Abroad field, click Empty, and you will then be able to select Yes or No to indicate whether the student is a U.S. citizen, and then click Save. See the "View and Edit a Student's Demographic Details" lesson if you want more details.
Where do I find NCLB levels for teachers?
- Go to Scheduling.
- Under Course Management, click Course Details.
NCLB levels are not defined at the teacher level; rather, NCLB levels trace back to the course level. To edit the NCLB level, log in at the district level (see the "Change Site or Term" lesson for help). You can then click the Scheduling tab on your toolbar, click the Course Management sub-navigation tab, and click Course Details. Search for your course, and when it appears click the pencil and paper edit icon to the right of the course name. Find NCLB Instructional Level midway down the page, edit it, and click Save.
I am generating a Staff Assignment (SASS) file but get a “no records were found” error message. How do I get the file to generate?
- Go to Cog Wheel.
- Under Users, click User Management.
One of the requirements to trigger the SASS file is Job Classification. To enter/edit Job Classification for your users, click the Administration cog icon on your toolbar, click the Users sub-navigation tab, click User Management, and open a user's record (see the "Edit a User's Details" lesson if you want more details). Click the Job Classification tab, make any necessary changes, and click Save.
But, what do you do with the admin that also teaches students for a portion of the day?
Report the user with two SASS records as such:
Illuminate Middle School > 10 (Administrator) > 99%
Illuminate Middle School > 12 (Teacher) > 1%
CALPADS and Lunch Programs
1. We do not overlap lunch programs start/end dates from one year into the next and prefer keeping them consistent within that same year. So for example, a free program that starts on 8/15/2013 should not have an end date on, for example, 9/15/2014 (Assuming that your 14-15 year starts prior to 9/15/2014).
2. Because lunch needs to be re-certified every school year, the district/school should request Illuminate "End Date" all active lunch programs as of the last day of school for that year. For example, a Free lunch program that starts on 8/15/2013 should have an End Date of 6/15/2014 (or whatever date is set up as last day of school).
3. You might say, "Well, don't these kids get a 30 day grace period next year while we reassess/re-certify on who's getting F/R lunch? If we end their lunch on the last day of school this year, that would mean they are not receiving F/R lunch on the first day of school next year?" To keep these students appearing active for lunch for next year, using this same group of students we end-dated, Illuminate can mass add another same lunch program starting on the first day of school next year (ie. 8/15/2014).
4. Next year, after your lunch personnel has gone through that recertification process, they will come back and "end date" those students who are no longer F/R for that year (This should be within that 30 day grace period). Otherwise, all other students who are continuing, already have the program set for that year.
5. Same thing repeats (Back to #1) as you get near end of that year.
Referencing lessons in the "CALPADS" chapter of the "System Admin" Help manual can help with any other questions you might have. Contact Customer Support at [email protected] if you have remaining questions.
Where do you assign Teacher Course Competency Levels?
This can be done manually through User Management and the sub-tab called Teacher Course Competency Levels. For new implementations Illuminate can assit with a one time mass import. Please provide a file that includes the SEID (State Educator ID) and competency level. Illuminate will import that value across all courses that user has taught. Please note teachers with multiple competencies will need additional updates.
How are Homeless Students Tracked?
Here is the current process for tracking Homeless Students for CALPADS reporting in Illuminate:
1. Create a Student Program (Homeless code 191) (Students > Programs> Add Program )
2. On Demographic Details enter Homeless Dwelling Type (Demographic Details > Homeless Dwelling Type> Select one of the codes below)
The only acceptable CALPADS codes are:
Homeless Dwelling Type 100 Temporary Shelters
Homeless Dwelling Type 110 Hotels/motels
Homeless Dwelling Type 120 Temporarily Doubled Up
Homeless Dwelling Type 130 Temporarily Unsheltered
3. IF applicable enter Homeless Details for Unaccompanied Youth or Runaway Youth Indicator (Student > Homeless Details)
For Historical Homeless (Residential Status):
CALPADS previously required that districts tracking homeless students with Residential Status codes. This field still exists in Illuminate however will not be part of the CALPADS extract.
Please perform the 3 steps above to ensure that CALPADS receives information accurately.