This enhancement to our existing CTE Pathways module allows users to connect CTE Pathways to courses in order to more easily determine which pathway a student might be eligible for, as well as check on the status of students as they work towards pathway completion.
Users can leverage the new CTE module in ISI in two primary ways:
Workflow Option 1) Manually set CTE pathways for students (similar to the old version of CTE).
Workflow Option 2) Automated “suggested pathways” feature (requires course associations).
CTE Pathway Configuration
The instructions below will guide users through the pathway configuration process. Note that while you do NOT have to associate courses with pathways to assign students to CTE pathways, you will not be able to make use of the “suggest a pathway” feature below unless course associations are in place.
Navigate to the CTE Pathways configuration landing page via Grades > CTE Pathways Configuration.
- To add a new CTE pathway, click Add New CTE Pathway.
- OR click on the name of the pathway you would like to configure (This list is fed by the CTE Pathways code table you maintain under Code Management.).
Note: The “Version/ Year” is meant to “version” the pathways themselves year-to-year. This is because a particular set of courses might qualify for a given pathway one year, but change the following academic year (State/District policy). For example, the Architecture pathway version SY15-16 might have Drafting V as the capstone course, but for students starting the pathway in SY16-17, that course no longer qualifies as a capstone; they have to take Drafting VI. Students that were already in the pathway in SY15-16 get credit for Drafting V and students that began the pathway in SY16-17 (i.e. different “version”) and get credit for Drafting VI. This is because the admin configuring both pathway versions would tag a different capstone course as qualifying.
Note that if a pathway does NOT change requirements from one academic year to the next, Admin users do not have to “duplicate” pathways year to year. You can duplicate if/when pathways change course requirements and/or capstones. This is easily and quickly done by checking off (one or all of) the pathways for your most recent version year on the landing page, and then clicking the blue Duplicate button > Assign a new version/academic year, and you’re done. Note that the same qualifying courses and capstone designations will carry over unless you modify manually or create a whole new pathway for that version year. Students already assigned to a particular version/year will stay in that version/year without issue.
If adding a new pathway:
1. Select a Version/Year.
2. Select a CTE Pathway.
3. Select a Site.
4. Click Add. Once clicked, follow the instructions for configuring an existing pathway.
If configuring an existing pathway:
After navigating to Grades > CTE Pathways Configuration > Select the name of the CTE Pathway.
The pathway configuration page will open for the selected pathway.
3. Use the Search bar to search for courses to add to the pathway (you will be able to search by course department, course name, school course ID, state course ID, and credit information will display as well).
4. Click the checkbox next to courses you wish to add to the pathway > click add button
You will see your course move to an “active” pathways table below where you’ll be able to track all courses you are adding to the pathway list. At this stage you can also designate which course is a capstone course for that pathway (helps with student level data later).
CTE Student Page
Navigate to the “CTE Pathways” page for a student by clicking on Students > CTE Pathways. You will see two tabs; select the one that says Assign New CTE Pathway.
1. If manually adding a Pathway: Set the Version/Year and Pathway name, and click the Add button to add the pathway to the student. NOTE: The “version/year” is not the same as the “completer year” for a pathway. The version/year is the version of the pathway the student is being assigned to. In most cases this remains the same for a few years (i.e. course requirements for a pathway do not change), but every few years in some states they do. Version/year pathways helps preserve historical data in pathway course requirements/options under state policy guidelines.
2. If adding Suggested Pathway: Click the “View” button to see the student’s progress in a pathway based on the course configuration you setup for that pathway - the system is checking the student’s course history against possible pathway configurations.
3. If you’d like to attach a pathway to a student click on the Add button, this will not move the pathway to the student’s “Active CTE Pathways” tab.
4. Navigate to the Assign New CTE Pathways tab.
5. Click the View button next to the desired pathway to see pathway information. NOTE: If you set up a pathway configuration using workflow option 1, you will see a table display with the student’s relevant course history for that pathway. But, if you manually added the student to that pathway and did not set up pathway configuration, you will ONLY see the “Status” box for the student i.e. their concentrator and completer status, no course history information. Once pathway configurations are created, course history data will display too.
6. Set the student’s CTE status by marking the items in the status box, you can mark a student as a CONCENTRATOR for whatever academic year they are a concentrator (you do have to update the concentrator year every year the student is supposed to be reported as a concentrator to CALPADS; if they do not continue as concentrators, you can leave the record alone and let the last year “sunset” and have historical CTE data). Concentrator status only gets pulled into the SCTE extract IF concentrator year equals the current reporting year to CALPADS. There is no need to delete old pathways students never completed.
If the student has achieved COMPLETER status by completing the required number of course credits and capstone course, users can designate the completer year. Completer status only gets pulled into the SCTE extract IF completer year equals the current reporting year to CALPADS. Please know that for SCTE if there is a completer year present, that trumps any concentrator year that might also be present. So, only the completer status gets reported even if concentrator year and completer year are the same.
7. Click the Submit button to save status.
Please note that new CTE module also has the following NEW META DATA available for custom reporting.