Should Charters be adding Student Transfers? If so, what Transfer Reason code should be used? How does it get reported to CALPADS? Should they be reporting transfers to CALPADS?
When you think about it, all students attending a charter school are technically "transfers" who are coming from the various districts around the charter. For example, at my charter school X, some students are coming from Riverside Unified, some from San Bernardino Unified, etc.
So if you're talking about reporting these kids to CALPADS, it's redundant to report transfers to CALPADS because every student is a transfer from District X, District Y, etc. Because of this redundancy, the charters DON'T have to report transfer data (it's actually just two columns on the CALPADS export) to CALPADS. Charters don't have to report the students, but can if they so chose. However, for ADA reasons (they have to find out ADA per District of Residence) and tracking they should create transfers.
Adding Transfer Records
1. From: is very important that you choose the District of Residence that the student is coming from. The District choices are from Code Management (Formerly called District of Residence, but now called Transfer Districts). If the Transfer District is not in your list to choose from, add via Code Management > Transfer Districts.
2. To: Choose the school you wish the student to attend. This should list only the active schools within that Charter's installation.
3. Reason: Here is where you determine why the student is coming to you. Charter schools need to use the Reason of "Charter". Please ensure that you use the Charter option and not the "Interdistrict Agreement" option.
The "Interdistrict Agreement" option is definitely a code used for CALPADS should they want to report the student. This Interdistrict Agreement ("inter" to mean one district to another) means that, for example, San Bernardino Unified has agreed that Paoge Cha (who lives in San Bernardino Unified territory) can attend Riverside Unified because of X reason (ie. he's too dangerous for San Bernardino Unified).
4. Status: Should be self-explanatory. Has the student been Accepted into your school(s) yet? Is it still Pending?
5. Year field: What year is this transfer for?
6. Start Date: When did this transfer start?
7. End Date: Not required, but is this transfer valid up to X date only? Leaving this blank is considered continuous (generally most of the time). Putting an End Date means the transfer is meant to end on that date.
Illuminate can support updating reasons/options in the system, but if you are needing help with what code(s) you need to use, see CALPADS System Documentation or reach out to CALPADS support.