This is a student guide to using iPads for Online Testing with a Locked Browser. The locked browser will remove the ability to leave the Student Portal will taking the test online.
Before You Get Started
- You will need your student portal account from your classroom teacher
- Your teacher should be assigning you a test to take online
- An iPad setup with internet and the ablity to log into your portal account
Locked browser for iPad: Student Steps
- Log in to the portal and choose the appropriate assessment from Pending Assessments.
- Begin Assessment and you will be prompted to start Guided Access mode.
- Triple-press the iPad home button to start Guided Access and enter LockDown Browser.
- After completing the exam and choosing to Finish and Submit your responses, triple-press the home button and enter the passcode to exit Guided Access.
- Press the Home button again to return to the Home page.
- Please note: Students can exit guided access mode at any time during the assessment if they set up their own guided access passcode. Therefore, they COULD exit Guided Access mode, visit another browser window or other tool, and then re-enter Guided Access mode to finish the assessment. While this is certainly a deterrent to cheating, there are security limitations with iPads that will not allow a complete lockdown of the system. One option could be that the teacher sets up guided access mode on the student devices. Then students can only exit Guided Access if the teacher disables the mode with a passcode.
Need some help with Student Portal? Visit Student/Family Guide to get started.