This lesson is to provide a helpful comparison from our former Navigation Panel and NEW Navigation Panel when you first log into your Illuminate account.
The new navigation will be released June 29, 2018.
- Our current top navigation uses a lot of old technology that's preventing us from scaling and modernizing key pages in your site and this upgrade will help fix that so we can build newer and better things moving forward
- New nav color is a prerequisite for LiG Mobile (Yup, you read that right!)
- Our style guide got an upgrade so we can match with our newest Illuminate family members eduCLIMBER
- With a new side navigation bar, we get a new login page too, going for modern look that is easier to use and easier on the eyes
- It's Illuminate's first style upgrade since 2013 so it was time
- User testing has proven (with data!) to be WAY easier to navigate by use of icons and screen inventory, as well as responsiveness the requires less scrolling than before
- The Navigation Bar is now to the left of your landing page, or first page once you log into your Illuminate Account.
- Search for anything from students, to users, where to find scanning, and more! This prompts our Quick Switcher tool for more efficient search results.
- Modules or tools and features you have access to in Illuminate are now found in alphabetical order on your lefthand side. Once selected, a menu of options will roll out to the right.
- The Control Panel provides your user or account information, ability to sign out, access to support and documentation, in addition to student groups and more! You now have two points of access selecting your user icon in the navigation panel or the control panel icon on the top right of the landing page.
- The Cog Wheel or Gear icon (permission based) is at the bottom of the navigation bar to access all system admin tools and features.
- Notifications, Alerts, and Illuminate Messaging (if enabled) are nestled on the top right of the dashboard.
- When you change the size of your browser window, your site will not resize and a hamburger icon will appear to Collapse or Expand the side navigation bar. If your window is at full size, you will not see the icon.
Before June 29
After June 29
1. Navigation Bar
Navigation Panel is on the top of your landing page and stays on the page wherever you navigate in Illuminate.
|Navigation Bar is now on the left-hand side of the screen with new updated tools, search options, and access to user information in a new Indigo skin.
2. Search Bar
||A big white box, found in the top of your Navigation Bar.||Now a magnifying glass that opens our Quick Switcher search tool to type and look for everything from students, to users, to help documents and more!|
|3. Modules||Based on permissions, Modules such as Assessments, Reports, or Students, are available in a single row with no particular order.||Modules are represented by a library of icons in alphabetical order. Based on permissions and how many modules are available to the user, users may have to scroll down to see all modules available.|
|4. Control Panel||Nestled in a menu option on the top right of the navigation bar, with controls such as user information, help resources, and changing affiliations or sites.||A Control Panel icon is located on the top right, similar to before. In addition, User Account Information is located on the top of your dashboard for quick and easy access of students and affiliations currently under review.|
|5. Cog Wheel or Gear||Located at the end of the navigation bar, this permission based module houses many of the System Admin tools and features to make Illuminate great for your organization.||This tool remains a Cog Wheel or Gear icon, this gadget is located at the bottom of the new navigation.|
6. Notifications, Alerts, Data Dashboard & Illuminate Messaging
||These handy tools and features are grouped together still, just with a new icon library look.|
|7. Collapse or Expand||-||
NEW AND IMPROVED! Your site now responds or is responsive when minimizing, resizing, and changing your screen!. As you change the size of your screen, you will see a hamburger icon or 3 stacked lines to collapse and expand the side navigation menu.