This lesson will guide you through Google authentication setup for students to use their Google accounts to log into the Student Portal. Any Google account will work and students can be automatically logged in to the Student Portal if already signed into Google.
Please notify your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for this request if you havent done so already.
1. Student Google email addresses imported.
2. Google SSO configuration enabled for Student Portal (By Illuminate Staff).
3. Student Portal accounts enabled via normal process through UI or via Import (details below).
Managing Google SSO for Student Portal
Please note, after enabling Google SSO, student passwords are no longer managed in Illuminate. You must enable the portal and align their Google Account in Illuminate. This means the following information must be true in order for Google SSO to work:
- Google SSO is enabled. If this is not true, you must contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) and follow the steps provided above.
- Students must have district-managed accounts created in your Google Admin Console. Email functionality is not required.
- If Google Apps Configurations is enabled, you may assign students e-mails via Illuminate. This is a separate integration from Google Single Sign-On (more information here).
- In Illuminate, the students current email is set to their Google SSO email. You can do this in the Student Demographic Details Page. Click on their email address and you will be able to edit it.
- Portal must be enabled for the student. This can be done under Students > Manage Portal Access.
You may enable portal by going to Students > Manage Portal Access. If you need to add a student’s email, you do so on the Demographic Details page. You must have the permission to Modify Student Demographics in order to do so. You will click on the field and a editable text box will appear and allow you to update the field.
Otherwise, you may mass create them by re-importing your student_portal_accounts.txt file after updating it with new students, or by creating an automation.
Mass Enabling Portal Accounts
You can import or enable your student portal accounts using our Core Data Import Tools. No matter what type username you are using for your student portal accounts you can import and enable your student portal accounts just by uploading a file. This file can also be added to your daily automated imports. Create a tab delimited file named ‘student_portal_accounts.txt’ with 5 columns.
- Student ID
- Username (Leave blank when using Google SSO)
- Enable (1 for Yes, 0 for No)
- Temp Password (Leave blank when using Google SSO)
How to Import: To import, go to the ‘Core Data Import / Validation’ tool within the Administration Menu. You must add the “student_portal_accounts.txt” file to a .zip file before uploading via the interface. The filename of the .txt must match exactly ‘student_portal_accounts.txt’. See below for more information. If you are still unsure how to do this, please contact our help desk.
Automate: If you wish to automate importing this file, your district will need to create their own scripts or tools to pull the information from where the student_portal_accounts.txt data would be housed and pull it into the tab delimited file on the SFTP server on a nightly basis. From there, please contact the help desk to update your Automation Profile Configurations to include the student_portal_accounts.txt file, if you are unsure how to do so.
To help get you started, you will likely need to contact your technology department to write a SQL query (or whichever database your Student Information System uses) and automate it nightly on your server/computer. Most clients use Windows Scheduler to schedule a task. You can find directions on how to set this up here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-task#1TC=windows-7.
Please note, the district / client is entirely responsible for automating the student_portal_accounts.txt file into the SFTP. Illuminate currently does not have a courtesy tool or script.
Re-Import: Re-importing this file will update any email addresses or usernames. However, temporary passwords will not be updated from re-importing the file. You can force these to update by importing a file to disable the accounts by setting the enable column to ‘0’, then performing another import with ‘enable’ set to ‘1’.
How to import
1. Click the Administration Gear.
2. Click Core Data Import and Validation.
3. Enter your email address.
4. Upload the zipped file.
5. Select which schools this will be Viewable by.
6. Select the Config for your school.
7. Change the radio button to Run as Import.
8. Select Student Portal Accounts.
9. Select the file encoding that matches your file.
10. Click Submit.
Verify Integrity- Yes/No
Contact Data Import Mode- Replace/Add
Transcript Data Import Mode- Replace/Add
Allow ISI data updates- Yes/No/Use Site Settings
Notes (example: "Student portal accounts import")
Verify the upload
To verify and enable a student portal account:
1. Go to Students, then click Manage Portal Access.
2. Filter by student ID in the search box at the top right of this page.
3. If the student does not appear, click on Add a Student.
4. Find the student using the search interface.
5. Check the box next to their name and click Enable Portal in the top right.
If the student cannot be found, double check that they have current enrollment and rostering.
- Remember, after enabling Google SSO, passwords are managed by the District Administrator in charge of the Google SSO. Please inform your users this and set this expectation.
- Enabling Google SSO will be a global change per Instance. So, if Google SSO is enabled, all sites will see the button. However, until the username is switched to the username@domain, they may continue to use the Illuminate log-in page.
- If you need a special circumstance where an entire site/district in your district/consortium will be a case by case basis, please inform your Customer Success Manager and they will contact a developer with specifics.