In this lesson, you will learn to use the Start Observation option which allows you to count the number of times a behavior is displayed.
This lesson beings assuming that you have already gone through the steps of Creating an Observation.
Where to Start
- When you choose the button Start Observation, you will be brought to an area to identify the class activity (be specific).
- Then, you can select Add Observation Behavior to add an observed behavior to your page.
Adding Observation Behaviors
You are then brought to an area to select a behavior from a district-wide list.
- If you do not see the behavior, you can select New to add a new behavior.
- Select any behavior (can choose multiple) to add it to your observation workspace.
- Click Add.
You will see the behavior(s) you added at the top.
- To record an observed behavior, select the blue button that shows the behavior with a “+1.”
- You can also choose to record the amount of time a behavior was displayed by clicking the green timer button to the right of the behavior button.
Once you enter an observed behavior, you are prompted to also record the antecedent and consequence (not required).
- You can choose this information from a dropdown menu.
- If you do not see your preferences, click New to add a new antecedent and consequence to your list.
- You will also be prompted to identify if this behavior was exhibited from your student of selection or if this is a Control Student.
- Once you have all information completed, click Apply.
- You will see your observation(s) recorded at the bottom of the page. A dot will appear in the observation field indicating a behavior was observed.
- You can continue to add new observed behaviors by selecting the Add Observation Behavior. Clicking the blue +1 behavior button will log an observed behavior. Clicking the timer button will log the amount of time that behavior was observed.
- If you are finished with your observation, you can click Stop.
- Above is an example showing how multiple observed behaviors can look on your screen. You can update the class activity at any time. All observations will be shown on your screen in a spreadsheet view.
Now that you've learned how to create start a behavior observation, continue with Start Interval of Observation.