In this lesson, we will review how to configure and setup integration for Google Classroom! This integration allows for Teachers to post Illuminate Assessments to Google Classroom for Students to access and take the assessment. It also allows for Teachers to pull assignments from Google Classroom into Illuminate Points-Based Gradebooks.
Before You Begin
Please make sure to:
- Connect with your organization's GSuite Admin, if you are not the GSuite Admin
- Only those with System Admin permissions can setup and configure the integration
- It is recommended to have Users and Students setup for Google SSO
- If not enabling Google SSO, User and Student Emails are required to be available data in Illuminate
Already have Google SSO setup and in use? Proceed to Step 2. If not, continue to Step 1.
In order for these integrations to functions, the student AND staff GSuite email addresses must be populated in Illuminate.
- These email addresses must match the individual’s G-Suite email address
- Student emails must be populated the the email field on the student demographic page for each student
- Staff emails must be populated in the email field on the user management page for each user
To SSO or Not SSO... That is totally up to your organization. What Illuminate can say, is that the user and student experience is easier and faster with this integration with Google SSO enabled. Talk to your Customer Success Manager for details and support.
There will need to be updates made to your User information. To enable Google SSO for users:
- The user's GSuite email address must be in Field 8 as the Username
- Send a ticket to email@example.com
- Make sure to communicate with staff that their Google SSO will be enabled and their Illuminate Login Page may change
Visit Users.txt for more specific information about importing user requirements listed below.
There will need to be updates made to your Student Portal Account information.
- Send a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure to communicate with students that their Google SSO will be enabled and their Illuminate Home Connection Student Portal Login Page may change
Visit Student_Portal_Accounts.txt on how to import Student Email Addresses.
To best be prepared for this step, please have reviewed Google Classroom Integration Directions for Sys Admin to have set your API and retrieved the required files to later upload.
- Select the Administration Options or Gear Icon > Under Other, select Integrations.
- In the All Integrations tab, find Google Classroom Assignments.
- Select the View button to begin.
- To see specific directions on the JSON file from your GSuite Admin Center, click Show Requirements & Directions.
- Under Enabled, select Yes.
- Enter the District E-Mail Domain for Students in the blank box. A sample of what can be expected is shown above.
- Attach the Google API JSON File when selecting Choose File.
- Select Test Integration to test the files an integration.
- Select Save Integration to confirm settings and move forward with enabling Google Classroom integration to your site.
Search 2.0 is a great tool to quickly find student lists of various kinds. Widget help to quickly drill-down or refine the list from your natural visibility and quickly create custom reports.
With user and student email addresses coming in as part of your data, this option provides clarity on any gaps analysis for student emails that may be missing or unassigned.
- Visit Students > Search 2.0 or using Quick Search, type 'Search 2.0'.
Google Classroom WIdget
- Select if you want to see a list of students with or without District Email Addresses.
- Select Search to find a list.
This list can be helpful in finding students who are not enabled and ready for Google SSO. You can Make this a Report, but mostly this is for troubleshooting for the GSuite or System Admin.
Missing Widgets? No problem! Contact your Customer Success Manager or Support Specialists to enable widgets you'd like to have available to. Keep in mind only System Admin to your organization are able to request changes.
Now that you have set up the integration, learn more about the teacher tools available to your users by visiting Posting Assessments into Google Classroom and Import Google Classroom Assignments into a Points-Based Gradebook.