This lesson will guide you through reviewing your users.txt import for accuracy.
- Make sure to have imported the required data fields prior to reviewing by visiting the guide users.txt Import
- If you have any questions, please contact our Data Specialists via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Illuminate Tools and features may require specific setup in order to reflect your data correctly
Who Should Be Involved in this Validation?
The following person(s) should be part of the data accuracy review and validation process to ensure success of your data import process:
- Illuminate Data Lead
- District Human Resources/Curriculum & Instruction Department
- Site Lead
Accuracy and Validations to Review
A common error with the users.txt import stems from potential existing errors in your current SIS and errors during the extract of the SIS. This is your chance to clean up your users file. Prior to import, you can remove any user who never logged in, add additional data, etc. Additionally, when pulling from your existing SIS, sometimes errors will occur where a users User ID is changed; this will result in a duplicate user being created in Illuminate.
1. Click the Administration Gear, then User Management.
2. This will pull up a list of all users. The list will show their User ID, User Name, as well as whether this is an active/inactive user account. Inactive should be used when pulling in user accounts for prior employees.
3. You can review this list of users by scrolling through all users, page by page, or by downloading a list of all users via the Excel icon.
4. If any users appear as duplicates, please correct in existing file to prevent additional duplicates from being created. Then work with our data team to correct the duplicate user.
Illuminate has created some reports to check accuracy for state reported fields. These reports only look at active users who are missing any of the key state reported fields.
From the users.txt, key state reported fields are: User ID, First Name, Last Name, Middle Name, Birth Date, Gender, State Educator ID, Race Code, Is Hispanic?, User Job Title, Staff Education Level, User Hire Date, User Exit Date, Position Status Code, Total Years Educational Service, Total Years in District. These fields align to the following columns from our data spec: 1-6, 10, 15, 16, 21-24, 26-28.
1. Use the report Data Check - Users.txt AVC 2 (State Reported Fields).
2. For California Districts and CMOs, you can also use the following reports:
- CALPADS Series - Staff Demographics Report
- CALPADS Series - All Users Job Classification and Assignment Report and CALPADS Series - Teachers Job Classification Report
Want to review your other data files for accuracy? See additional guides in the Data Validation Process manual.