In this lesson you will learn the basics on how to add a chart to a custom report.
If your report contains over 30 columns or 5,000 student records, Charts will not be an option to add to your report.
Before You Get Started
In order to add a chart, make sure to have the following:
- At least (1) completed Custom Report
- Goal in mind of how you want to see the data from the Custom Report to the Chart
Where to Start
- Visit Reports > View Reports. Search and find the Custom Report to add a chart to > Click the title to open the report.
- From within an open Custom Report, select Charts > New Chart to get started.
1. New Chart
- To start, the chart will be blank.
- Columns in the report will be available to build the chart.
- Click-Drag-Drop data as appropriate in Category, Measure, and Series, depending on what type of chart you want to build.
- At least one Category and Measure must be entered in order to Save the chart
- To access additional tools and settings, select Settings.
- To expand the chart view and collapse the tools, select Expand. To return, select Collapse.
- Use the checkbox to Exclude Nulls from Charts.
2. Build a Chart
Data will be separated by type such as Text, Number, and Date. To start building a chart, choose values to place in at least the following as appropriate to visualize the report.
- Select a data field to drag and drop into Category, Measures, and/or Series.
- Measure is which data field is how the category should be measured by
- Category is what is being measured
- Series is an optional way to further group and compare the data
Can I Use the Same Data Field in Multiple Places? Sure! Depending on your goals for the chart!
3. Apply Chart Settings
- Select Settings to change chart options.
- Change the chart type by selecting a different type.
- Select to the checkbox to enable a legend, or key to understanding the chart and data better.
- Alignment Tools are available to move the legend around the chart, depending on how much data is in the report
- Floating the legend places it anywhere on the graph
- By default Chart Title is enabled from the start but can be disabled if unchecked.
- Have long category labels? Rotate them by selecting the checkbox Rotate Labels.
4. Save a Chart
Learn more about the Chart Toolbar.
Review the Chart Type Abstract for more information on the types of charts available.