In this lesson you will learn more about how to add Categories, Measures, and Series to a chart in a Custom Report.
Before You Get Started
In order to add a chart, make sure to have the following:
- At least (1) completed Custom Report
- Goal in mind of how you want to see the data from the Custom Report to the Chart
- Visit Reports > View Reports. Search and find the Custom Report to add a chart to > Click the title to open the report.
- From within an open Custom Report, select Charts > Chart List or a chart from the most recent menu to get started.
1. What Do I Add Where?
Data will be separated by type such as Text, Number, and Date. To start building a chart, choose values to place in at least the following as appropriate to visualize the report.
- Select a value to drag and drop into Measure.
- By default, a Column Graph showing the count of students in that measure will appear on the chart.
You should notice matching Records between the custom report and the chart being shown.
What is a Measure?! A measure is the y-axis, or what data is being measured. In the example above, notice the data being measured is a Count of students who were administered the SBA Summative (FINAL) ELA.
- You can have multiple measures with multiple categories
- You cannot have multiple measures with a series
- Select a value to drag and drop into Category.
By default, the Column Graph will refresh to show a count of students by Grade Level.
- You should notice records have changed between the custom report and the chart being shown
What is a Category?! A category is the x-axis, or by what group is the measure being distributed into. In the example above, notice the data is being measured is a Count of students who were administered the SBA Summative (FINAL) ELA by Grade Level showing 661 Students in Grade 4 have taken the assessment
- When adding more than 1 data field into Category, the chart is able to drill-down within the chart.
- Notice the labels are hyperlinked and highlighted in blue.
- The chart interactively changes to be about that selected Site and Grade Level for a count of students by performance level.
- Select < Back to return to the original chart.
How Many Categories Can I Add? Up to 4 categories. That's a lot of awesome interactive data in my chart!
- Select a value to drag and drop into Series.
By default, the Column Graph will refresh to show a count of students by Grade Level for each Performance Level in the administration.
- You should notice records have changed between the custom report and the chart being shown, even more so than before
What is a Series?! A series is how the data is further bundled or broken down into a group In the example above, by adding the series of SBA Summative (FINAL) as a Series, the chart now shows a student count by grade level each Performance Level. For example, 219 students in 8th grade earned a performance level 4 on the SBA Summative (FINAL) administration.
2. Choose the Best Chart Type
- Select Settings to view additional options.
- View and select a new chart type.
- Enable and customize the legend, labels and chart title
- By default Chart Title is enabled from the start but can be disabled if unchecked.
3. Save a Chart
- When at least 1 category and 1 measure are added to a chart or whenever changes are made, select Save.
- Enter a Chart Title.
- Optional Enter a Description about the chart.
- Select Close to NOT apply changes and go back.
- Select Save to continue.