In this lesson you will review how to set up an integration with the Michigan Data Hub. This will allow the ability to push studemo and enrollment data to the MI Data Hub to provide student information to another Michigan School District in the event that a child moves from one district to another.
Once enabled, these two core files will come from the Michigan Data Hub while the others will continue to come from your current process.
In order to move forward with this process, you will need to have working credentials coming from EdFi before proceeding with the next steps.
Before You Get Started
Setting up the integration requires the following:
Import Student Ids
- Edfi district student ID must match existing import_student_id in EDFI
- Districts should have their Student ID and State ID match
The following permissions are required for System Admins to be able to access and manage the data hub configurations:
- Core Data Import and Validation: Import core data sets (for access to Automation Profile management)
- Manage Core Data Import Transformations: View, edit, copy and delete core data import transformations (for access to Core Data Configurations)
Where to Start
To get started, select Administration Options or Admin Gear, to find essential next steps.
You can always use CMD or CTRL+ K to access the Quick Switcher to find exactly what you are looking for by entering 'Core Data' or 'API'
- We have provided a starter data config to help you get set up. You can import this into the core data configs and then modify the code values to suit your specific needs.
- You are responsible for modifying this configuration so that any code-specific transformations are set up. Illuminate pulls code values straight from the data hub without changing them.
- Once you have set up the core data config you must set up an automation profile. This includes information about the SFTP server where the files will be located. The first time you set this up you will need to include an empty file for datasets that are importing from the hub. Illuminate will be generating the file for you and placing it in the location specified on the SFTP.
- Double check if the dataset files exists in the SFTP server you specified. If it's not empty, worry not, this will not affect any issues. It will be overridden.
- Set up the API credentials for the data hub.
- Auth Base Url is the base of the URL used for authorization. This is everything before the /oauth. It must include a trailing '/'.
- API Base Url is the base of the URL used for all other calls. This is everything before the academic year. It must include a trailing '/'.
- Set up the API configuration for the data hub. This specifies which datasets you would like to import for the hub, which set of hub credentials to use, and which automation profile to associate this with.
- The automation association is used to determine where to place generated files on the SFTP server and what time to run the automation profile.
- A file generation process is scheduled to run about 4 hours before the associated automation profile is set to run, which depending on the size of your organization could take up to two hours.
If necessary, Illuminate can also manually trigger the file generation process to run
Each year, the academic year must be changed in the API credentials page.