In this lesson, you will review how to set up special marks. Special Marks are extra marks that you can add to your Valid Grades Template to denote special situations, which may or may not be graded in the Gradebook or Standards Gradebook. Examples of special marks are ABS for absent, EX for Excused, ME for Medically Excused.
Where to Start
1. Click Settings, then Valid Grades.
2. Click Settings, then Valid Standard Grades.
1. On the Define Valid Grades page, select the course you wish to create a template for from the Select a Course drop-down.
2. If setting up the Valid Grades Template, this will cause the "Single Assignment Grading" section to change, otherwise it causes the "Standards Based Grading" section to change.
3. Under the Single Assignment Grading or the Standards Based Grading section, please select a Grading Template from the selection box.
4. This brings up a viewable template for you to edit or you can create a new template.
5. Whether you click on Create a New Template or Edit Template, it will bring up a pop-up which is either empty or has template grades.
6. This Pop-up will allow you to name the template, edit an existing mark or add a new mark.
1. Click on Add New Mark.
2. This will cause the pop-up to expand and allows you to create your mark.
3. To create a Special Mark, you only have to fill out the Mark textbox and select whether the mark is proficient and make sure the Grade Type is set to Special.
4. If you wish to create a Special Mark with a grade value, you should enter a Conversion Value and Min Value into the mark template.
Note: The Mark template also allows you to enter a comment every time the assignment is graded by that mark.
5. Once your mark is setup, click Save.
Note: While you do not need to enter a description, it is always beneficial to enter it in case you forget what the mark means.
6. Once all your marks are entered, please click on the Apply Changes button. This will close the pop-up and take you back to the Define Valid Grades page.
1. Before continuing on make sure the correct Grading Template is selected. If it is not, please select the correct one. Then click on the Save To button.
2. This will bring up the course listing pop-up.
3. On the pop-up, select all the classes that will have these special marks available for use and click Apply Changes.
To see all of the other features available in Classroom, see the lessons in the chapter IO Classroom, Classroom Teacher.