Once an online assessment has been created, the online settings can be revised or refined by using Advanced Settings, which can be accessed in three ways: 1) from the Functions drop down menu in the Assessment Manager; 2) during the last step when building an online assessment; and 3) from the Online Administration screen.
Where to Start
In the Top Menu Bar, click the grid icon to open the navigation grid menu, and select Assessments.
- Find the desired published assessment from the list in the Assessment Manager.
- To the far right in the same row as the assessment name, click on the down arrow in Functions, and select Advanced Settings.
You can choose from one of the following:
- During the final Setup step when creating an assessment, the specifics for administering the assessment will be determined.
- Select Publish.
- A message will appear giving you the option of going to Advanced Settings, where these settings and others can be revised and refined.
You can also access Advanced Online Settings from the Online Administration screen.
- From the Assessment Manager, find the assessment you want to administer, and click on the bolded Online Admin icon (computer monitor).
IMPORTANT! While students are Inactive, click on the Advanced tab to revise or refine your previously selected online settings.
Online Settings Basics
- If this is an assessment you have created, and properties have not been locked by the district, then you can set or make revisions to these settings.
- Any changes made here will override the online settings made in the Setup step of the assessment creation process.
- Check the box to select the setting, or uncheck to deselect the setting.
Click on the (i) icon to view a brief description of each property.
Online Settings Options
This step is focusing on the administration settings and options during an administration:
If you want students to have a specific amount of time in which to take the assessment, then slide No to Yes. Set the hours and minutes by clicking inside the boxes and using the up/down arrows to select the desired duration.
The duration can be increased or decreased by a set number of minutes as needed during the testing session. To change the default setting, click inside the number box and use the up/down arrows to select a new time.
Set the beginning and ending time students will be able to access the assessment in the Student Portal. To change the default Start Time and/or End Time, click on the clock icons.
Select the days of the week the assessment will be available to students. Click on the box next to the day to unselect (if green), or select (if open).
Pre-selects the requirement of a 4-digit PIN number for students to take an online assessment in the Student Portal.
- Activation Scheduled students will be automatically activated to take the assessment online once it is published.
- Reactivation Once a test is activated, students will be able to re-enter an assessment during the administration window as long as the assessment has not been submitted. The following scenarios will allow the student to re-enter the assessment if auto-reactivation is enabled: student closes/refreshes the browser; the application times out; connection to the Internet was temporarily lost; student clicks the exit button.
Pre-selects the display of assessment details in the Student Portal when reviewing scores. This can be turned on and off at any time in the testing process.
The hint feature is only available for items created in the Work Space. Upon completion of a test, all (multiple choice) items for which the student has answered incorrectly will be tagged for a second attempt. During the second attempt, a hint for each incorrect item will display and the initial incorrect response will not be available.
Pre-selects the display of the timer (countdown clock) in the Student Portal.
Pre-selects the randomization of answer choices in online testing (if assessment allows).
Pre-selects randomization of test items in online testing (if assessment allows).
Pre-selects the display of a thermometer that visually shows their score when students submit their assessment in the Student Portal. This property is not available for multiple sessions.
Online Testing Tools
When selected, these tools will appear in the Student Portal for all students to use while taking the online assessment. Individual student accommodations can be made via the Online Administration screen, in the Class Roster Report, or in the Student History Report for a specific student.
The Equation Editor is part of the CKEditor text box formatting tools. There are four levels of editors: Elementary, Algebra, Algebra with Trigonometry, and Advanced. Students can use the CKEditor to write the equation in the space provided and click OK to enter it into the text box for scoring.
- Advanced Math Editor: Includes all functions and symbols, and is to be used for calculus or other advanced math courses.
- Algebra Editor: Includes basic elementary and basic algebraic functions.
- Algebra with Trigonometry: Includes algebraic functions/symbols and is appropriate for trigonometry, geometry, and algebra.
- Elementary Editor: Includes basic elementary functions for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Set the preferred translation language for the Full Assessment (allows student to view entire assessment, including controls and items, in the selected language) or a Selection (allows students to select single or multiple words to translate during online testing).
Allows students to cross out incorrect answers.
Allows student to adjust screen background or font color.
Allows students to look up words during testing for a definition and/or a picture definition.
Virtual graphing paper that allows students to add points and draw lines.
Allows students to highlight text in a passage in yellow, pink, or blue.
A moveable, resizable frame to help students track text.
Allows students to click on the talk bubble to make a note to themselves and/or the teacher. The note is moveable and resizable.
A tabular arrangement of the chemical elements, ordered by their atomic number, electron configuration, and recurring chemical properties.
Set in Online Markup, allows students to click on the underlined word or phrase in the text and a Pop-up box will appear with a synonym, definition or other support for that word or phrase
A transparent protractor that can move over a question to measure angles in test items. The protractor can also rotate by clicking and dragging on the curved arrow in the circle.
Set in Online Markup, allows students to view definitions or other supports for a word, phrase, or sentence. The definition or rewording displays over the original wording in the text. If Text to Speech has been enabled, students may have the Rollover read aloud by clicking on the blue play button.
A moveable ruler is transparent so students can move it over a question to measure lengths in inches or centimeters. The ruler can be rotated the by clicking and dragging on the curved arrow in the circle.
Provides students with spelling and word prediction assistance when responding to Constructed Response or Writing Prompt items in online assessments.
Text to Speech may be enabled in Online Markup to allow students to hear text read aloud for the passage only, the questions and answer choices only, or the whole assessment. To allow TTS for the entire assessment and override the limitations set in Online Markup, slide No to Yes.
TTS only allows for English and Spanish languages.
A tool to enlarge or shrink text.
- Allow Multiple Sessions: Slide No to Yes, and complete the information as desired. Online assessments may be split into sessions, each with a designated number of items for students to complete and a duration.
- Once revisions and refinements have been completed for the online settings, click Save at the bottom of the page
Visit Basic Navigation: Navigating the Launchpad 6.0, for more information.