This lesson will guide you through creating assignments in Classroom.
Where to Start
1. Go to the Assignments tab and then click Create Assignment.*Assignments can also be created by using the New Assignment icon on the dashboard.
2. Enter the Title of the assignment
3. Select the Category the assignment belongs to. In order to edit the category see the guide Settings: Setting your Course Grading Policy
4. Viewable Date will automatically display today's date but can be adjusted. The date represents when the assignment can be viewed by students or parents on PupilPath.Please note, once a mark is given, or the viewable date has been reached, it will be shown on PupilPath
5. Due Date will automatically display today's date but can be adjusted. The date represents when the assignment is due. This date is viewable by the students and parents on PupilPath
6. Select the Marking Period. Please note, Course Categories must be setup prior to selecting subsequent marking periods
7. Along with the above selections we are also able to chose the Max Points of the assignment. The max points is automatically set to 100 but can be adjusted based on the maximum allowable points a student can receive on an assignment.Please note, grade according to the scale you used. For example, if a quiz is worth max points of 10 and a student receives 9, enter 9 as a grade. If you enter 90%, this is equivalent to 90 points on a 10 point scale.
8. The Weight of the assignment is automatically set at 1.000 (=1). This value represents how much weight this assignment receives in your gradebook. Every assignment counts as 1 assignment in the gradebook, hence, the weight of 1. If you want the assignment to have double the weight (in comparison to other assignments) change the weight to 2.
9. All assignments are graded as long as "Is Graded" is checked-off. An assignment can be excluded from the average by deselecting the "Is Graded" check box.Please note, the option to grade is no longer available if the box is unchecked
10. If the assignment is Extra Credit select the check box.
11. Exams created in Data Driven Classrooms (DDC) can be linked by Link to DDC Exam.
12. To attach standards to the assignment click the Attach Standards button.Please note, the standards must be attached to the course in Course Standards in order to select them from the list.
Once the standard(s) are selected, click on Transfer Selection.
Once the selection is made, click on Apply Changes
13. You can now attach Classroom Files (located within your Classroom File Manager), Google Files (located within your Google Drive), or create a New Google File)
14. In the description box enter your assignment details for students to view through PupilPath
15. Check off the courses that should have this assignment and select the appropriate category.Please note, all courses will be automatically selected when creating the assignment. If you do not want a course to have this assignment, uncheck the course
16. Once complete Save Assignment and you may begin grading
To learn more about Back to School Setup, see the lessons in Classroom, Back to School Setup.