This lesson contains frequently asked questions about scales and scale levels in DDC.
Where to Start
What are scales?
- Scales are performance ranges that can be set to color code a report. They are sometimes called "performance bands" in other systems.
Where are scales used?
- Currently scales are only used in the Summary Report of the Exam System. We will be expanding the use of scales to include Custom Reports and various other reports in the system. In the future you will also be able to group students by scale.
Who can define scales?
- Scales are meant to be set at a school or district-wide level - that is why only a few people are given access to it. This is to prevent a different scale being set for every exam.
How are scales defined?
- Scales levels (performance bands) are set by percentage, not point value.
How should scales be named?
- If you are setting up a scale that only applies to a specific group or school, I would recommend using a prefix to designate where it is supposed to be used (i.e. LBJH - Math Performance Scales). In the future, I will add a feature allowing the exam creator to set a default scale.
Where can I create/edit/delete scales?
- There is an admin interface under Support-->Settings-->Set Scales.
- If you can't see the page or link, that means you don't have the proper permissions to access it.
To learn more about DDC exams, see the lessons in Classroom, DDC.