Before administering an online assessment to students, users have the option to randomize the test items as well as randomize the answer choices within the test items. This means the assessment will contain the same questions and answer choices for each student, but the order will be displayed differently. However, SchoolCity SUITE will automatically score all items and answer choices according to their original order. Randomization can be set up in Advanced Settings, during the assessment creation process, or from Online Administration.
Option 1: From Advanced Settings in the Assessment Manager
- In the Top Menu Bar, select Assessments.
- Find the desired published assessment in the Assessment Manager. To the far right in the same row as the assessment name, click on the down arrow in Functions, and select Advanced Settings.
- In Advanced Settings, click on the Online Settings tab.
- In the Properties section, check the boxes next to the randomization you want Randomize Items (items will be displayed in a different order for each student) and/or Randomize Answer Choices (answer choices within each item will be displayed in a different order for each student). When selected, the box will be green with a white check mark.
- Click Save to save the new online settings.
- A message will appear confirming this action. Click OK to continue.
Option 2: During the final Setup step when creating an assessment
- Online Settings: Slide Show to Hide.
- In the Properties section, check the boxes next to Randomize Items and/or Randomize Answer Choices.
- Click Save, Save & Close (if you want to continue working on the assessment creation later), or Publish (if you are done with the assessment setup).
Option 3: From the Online Administration screen
- Find the desired published assessment in the Assessment Manager.
- Click on the bolded Online Admin icon (computer monitor). [Note: The icon will be bolded if the assessment is published, the administration window is open, Online has been selected as a method of delivery, and your students have been scheduled to take the assessment.]
- Before students are activated to take the assessment, click on the Advanced tab.
- In the Properties section, check the boxes next to the randomization you want Randomize Items and/or Randomize Answer Choices.
- Click Save to continue.
- A message will appear indicating that the changes will only apply to students who have not yet been activated to take the assessment. Click OK to continue.
- A second message will appear confirming this action. Click OK to continue.
- Click on the By Students tab to activate students and begin the testing session.
- Notice the pink message on the upper right indicating that randomization has been turned on for this assessment.