This lesson will walk you through scanning students responses with Lightning Grader! LiG is a fast, easy way to scan student responses and determine their performance. On the Fly is a powerful tool to help you get more information about your students' needs quickly or formatively. Whether or not you save that data is up to you, but in the moment as an Exit Ticket, Classroom Game, or anything you want to collect and assess, to promote your students' success!
Where to Start
- Start by Assessments.
- Choose Create a New Assessment
Create an On The Fly Assessment
- Select On The Fly.
- Enter the number of questions below.
- Select Create to continue.
- Scan or Enter an answer key as desired.
- Select Scan Student Responses to get started!
For On The Fly assessments, your answer key will be more simple and quick-to-grade, relying more on auto or computer graded functionality. For more advanced item types, it is better to create a Flexible Assessment ahead of time for advanced scoring features and options.
By default, the Teacher View begins collecting student responses as they scan.
- Student scores appear as they are scanned.
- You can select Details to view more information about their responses. Selecting the Zoom icon will expand the details.
Teacher Mode can be for instances when you are monitoring scanning at your desk or a particular area and want to see student responses listed as shown above. Selecting Show under Incorrect Responses will give an instant Student Response Summary of both correct and incorrect answers.
Student Mode is great for instant student feedback at a station or scanning area. Students can clear their answers before leaving by pressing Enter to clear the screen. Notice if there are rubric or teacher-graded items, it tells the student that additional work needs to be reviewed by the teacher.
Return to Teacher Mode to continue and see final results after all students have scanned their answers.
Sometimes, you may be prompted to review students work for:
- Multiple Answer Choices, and
- Hard to read answers
- You can change answer choices as needed by clicking to select the presented answer choices.
- To see all items, select Show All Questions.
- Save changes or scores as is if not altered.
- Discard is great when you return the answer sheet to the student so they can make another attempt, not scanning the answers.
Don't want to be prompted? This can be disabled within Settings.
Since you are administering On the Fly, you have a few options as to what to do next.
Continue scanning if there are more responses to collect. You can navigate to any view.
An option if using Illuminate Gradebooks is to push the scores into an Assignment! No more double entry!
- Select the Gradebook and enter the Assignment Name.
- Once Save is selected, the score will be transfered instantly as an assignment in the selected Gradebook.
Once you exit the assessment however, the scores will only be within the Gradebook assignment created.
Another option that is helpful if you want to return to results at a later date/time, have absent students take this assessment later, or take the information to the next level by aligning standards, creating question groups, or share the assessment with others, select Save as an Assessment.
- Make sure to enter a Title for the assessment and select Save to save this new assessment.
- Need to find this assessment later? Visit Assessments > View Assessments to find it.