District SchoolCity Administrators (ADMIN Role in SchoolCity Suite) have the ability to grant various permissions to other district staff, site administrators, curriculum specialists, instructional coaches, and teachers according to what the specific user needs to see and do within SchoolCity Suite. These permissions determine what Role(s) the user is assigned. This document will review how to create a new Custom Role for specific users in the District.
- From the Top Menu Bar, select the Apps icon (waffle), and select Admin to go to the Admin module.
Or, from the Launchpad, click on the ADMIN Flip Card. On the reverse side, select Roles.
- Select the Roles tab.
- A list of default Roles can be viewed, along with a brief description of each.
- Role Summary: To only view a summary of permissions for a specific Role, click on the name of the Role in blue. The permissions cannot be edited in this view. All checkmarks appear in gray.
- Create a New Role: New Custom Roles may be created as needed for specific users for specific purposes.
Create a New Custom Role: (Note: Permission to create and edit Roles can be granted in the System Admin Permissions section.)
- Click on Create New Role.
- Role Name: Give the new Role a name.
- Role Description (optional): Describe the new Role.
- Access Level: Select the User Level at which the new Role should have access within SchoolCity Suite - District, School, or Teacher. (You may only select one.) Limit Data View options will automatically populate along with a blank slate of permissions.
- Limit Data View To: Select School(s) the new Role will be able to access and Select Grade(s), if any.
- Permissions: In each section, check the boxes of the necessary permissions for the new Role.
- Click Save to save this new Role. Click Back to return to the previous page.
Inherit Role From: The new custom role may be similar to an existing role. Instead of starting with a blank slate of permissions, this option will allow you to start with all of the permissions already selected for the inherited role.
- Click on Inherit Role From.
- Select Role name: From the drop down list, select the Inherited Role name (Admin, District, School,Teacher), then click Apply.
- Select Permissions: Uncheck the permissions the new Role does not need, and keep the box checked next to the permission(s) the new Role does need.
- Click Save to save the new Role, or Back to return to the previous page. The new Role may now be assigned to the specific User(s) for whom it was created.
Assign the New Role to a User:
- Click on the Users tab.
- Use the Search filters to narrow the list of users. Click Refresh.
- Search for the specific user by entering his/her name in the search box. Click on the magnifying glass icon.
- To the right of the user’s name, click on the down arrow under Functions, then click on Edit.
Click on the Role drop down menu and select the desired Custom Role.
The new role will be listed below. If this is an additional role for this user, select which role to make as the user’s primary role when he/she logs into SchoolCity Suite. Select the School(s) if this is a School Level role. Select grade(s), if applicable.
Click Save after adding the role or making any other edits.