Feeder schools enable users to view incoming students prior to their full enrollment at a live site. Districts use this feature to complete pre-enrollment testing/screeners and track incoming enrollment numbers in Illuminate.
This lesson will guide you through setting up a feeder site for your incoming students.
In order to enroll students at a feeder site, you'll need to upload the studemo.txt, enrollment.txt, and roster.txt files with these students' data.
The steps below assume you have admin-level access to Illuminate.
Where to Start
Begin by clicking on the Admin Gear and selecting Site Management.
At the top of the page, click Add Site
Most of the fields on this page aren't necessary for the Feeder site. Fill out the following:
- Site ID: give your Feeder site a unique ID number. Typically, we use 9999998 as the ID.
- Site Name: give your Feeder site a name. Usually "Feeder Site" will work.
- Site Type: set this to Other Schools and Facilities
- Start/End Grades: Set the start grade as the lowest possible grade level and the end grade as the highest possible grade level for your district.
- State: scroll towards the bottom of the page and select your State. This is required for all new sites.
Click Save when finished.
Once you save your site, you'll be prompted to go to Term Manager to create terms.
On the Term Manager page, locate your Feeder site in the list. Check the box to the left and then click the Create Terms button at the bottom of the page.
In the Create Terms pop-up, fill out the following:
- Leave the Term Type as Yearlong and make the term name Y.
- Set the Start and End dates to match your district site.
- Click Save when finished, then Clean and Re-align your Data on the Term Manager page.
Be sure to Clean and Re-align your Data on the Term Manager page after creating your Feeder site terms.
Click the Admin Gear and go to the User Management page.
Click the New User option at the top of the page.
Most districts use a "placeholder" user account for their feeder site. Create a new user account with the information above.
After filling out the name and username for the placeholder account, click Additional Information and specify a Local User ID. Typically, the same ID as the site is used. When finished, click Save at the bottom of the page.
In order to create new students in Illuminate and enroll them at the Feeder site, you'll need to populate and import the following files: studemo.txt, enrollment.txt, and roster.txt. For the purposes of this import, most districts will only populate the required fields for each file, which can be viewed here: Illuminate Core Data Specification.
Some student information systems (like Aeries) will send the Feeder site students as part of the nightly automation. If the Feeder site students are already part of the studemo.txt file sent with the nightly automation, then there's no need to create a separate studemo file for them. Proceed with importing the enrollment.txt and roster.txt files.
Once you've created your files, click on the Admin Gear and go to the Core Data Import and Validation page.
On the Core Data Import & Validation page, do the following:
- Zip your studemo.txt, enrollment.txt, and roster.txt files and then click Choose File to select the zipped files.
- Run the import as Validation Only to begin.
- Scroll to the Preferred Datasets section and choose your files: Enrollment, Roster, and Studemo.
- Click Submit at the Bottom of the page.
Access the Core Data Import Logs from the Admin Gear to check the progress of your validation run.
When it finishes, click the Finished button to check for any errors.
Provided your validation import has processed successfully with minimal errors, return to the Core Data Import & Validation page and choose Run as Import this time.
Now that you've created a Feeder Site and imported your incoming students, you can administer assessments and create reports for these students. Visit our Quick Guides to learn more.