This lesson will guide you through exporting student constructed responses from an assessment. This is useful when you would like to print copies of students' written work from an online assessment.
Where to Start
Scroll down to the section Download Raw Student Text Response Data. You have two export options:
- Click the Excel Student Response option if you plan to open the file in Excel (recommended).
- Click the Tab-delimited Student Response option if you plan to open the file in Excel or another text editor.
- A pop-up will appear and the file will be saved to your computer.
- When you open your file for the first time, the file will look like the image above.
- You can select a cell, then copy and paste the contents into a word processor (ex: Microsoft Word).
- You can use tools in Excel such as Wrap Text to re-format the cells in the file.
- Raw text responses for Math Equation items do not export well and extra characters are included in the Excel sheet. This is due to the vendor we use to render math equations (Math Jax). We recommend viewing math responses using the Enter/Edit page at this time.
You can also enable Assessment Review Settings so students can view their assessment results by logging into the Student Portal. Learn more via the guide Enable Assessment Review Settings.