In this lesson, you will learn how to get started creating a Selectable Text Item within the Legacy Item Bank. This allows students the ability to select words in a sentence as their answer choice.
Adding Standards and Publishing the Item are required to use the item in an assessment.
Where to Start
- Click on Assessments.
- Under Itembank, select Visit Itembank.
Create a New Item
- Click Create.
- Next click New Item.
- Select Next.
You may also start from the Items tab. Then click Create Item.
- Select Highlight - Selectable Text from the drop down menu.
- Click Teacher Instructions to type instructions for the teacher (e.g., Read the question aloud to your students) if applicable.
- Enter the Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- Use the tool palette for special formatting. To learn more check out the Item Toolbar Overview.
- Click Save & Continue.
Teacher Instructions are only viewable on the Itembank Teacher Booklet.
Now you have to input and set the possible answer choices. This creates the text you want students to select from.
- Select the checkmark beside the correct answer choices. The checkmark will turn green. You can choose more than one correct answer choice.
- The Selectable button will be on (or green) by default to allow the student to click on it as an answer choice. You can make all the words selectable choices, but only the ones you marked as correct will be considered correct for scoring purposes. You can also make only some answer choices selectable. Click on the Selectable button to make the button blue. It will now say Not Selectable.
- Entering a value in Max Choices allows you to limit the number of words or phrases that can be highlighted by students. Leaving the default of 0 will allow them to select as many of the selectable words or phrases as they wish.
- Answer Choice Scoring- You can customize whether a student will get credit when at least one correct answer is selected or when all correct answer choices have been selected. You also have the option to have each correct choice be worth +1 point and incorrect choices be worth -1 point.
- Click Save.
A rubric allows for partial credit scoring on an item. To add a rubric click Create Rubric.
- Enter a Rubric description in the space provided (optional).
- Click Add Rubric Level to add additional point values.
- Click the minus to remove Rubric Levels.
- Enter which response corresponds to the desired point value.
- When done, click Save.
If you add a Rubric to a Selectable Text item, you must enter at least one response into the spaces provided. Failure to do so will cause an error in Online Testing.