In this lesson, you will learn how to get started creating a Multimedia Item in the Illuminate Itembank. This means you can create questions that are based on short videos that you require students to watch. These videos can be housed on your computer or taken from Vimeo or You Tube.
Where to Start
- Click on Assessments.
- Under Itembank, select Visit Itembank.
Create a New Item
- Click Create.
- Next click New Item.
- Select Next.
You may also start from the Items tab, then click Create Item.
- Select the item type you are creating, in this case you can use Multiple Choice to create a multimedia item.
- Click Teacher Instructions to type Teacher Instructions (e.g., Read the question aloud to your students) if applicable.
- Enter the Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information..
- Click on the Multimedia Icon.
Teacher Instructions are only viewable on the Itembank Teacher Booklet. They will not appear in Online Testing or the Student Booklet.
Insert a Video
Once you click on the multimedia icon, you will get the 'Insert a video' pop up:
- Embeddable Video URL allows you to insert Vimeo or You Tube videos by pasting the URL here. (See Vimeo specific steps below.) The URL must include the https:// i.e. https://player.vimeo.com/video/# instead of just "//player.vimeo.com/video/#
- Upload a Video allows you to upload a file (Video OR Audio) that is saved on your computer. Video must be in mp4 format with H.264 encoding only and max 20 MB and Audio must be in mp3 format.
- Give the video/audio a title.
- If you would like to customize the size of the video box on the screen, you may do so here.
- Click Insert Video/Audio.
If uploading a Vimeo video:
1. When looking at the Vimeo video, click on the "Share" icon (paper airplane) in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Under the "Embed" option, there will be a URL within quotation marks for embedding the video. The URL will always be in the format of "https://player.vimeo.com/video/#" where "#" represents the Vimeo video ID number. For example, in this screenshot, the # is 107011435. Therefore, the embedding URL is https://player.vimeo.com/video/107011435.
3. The embed URL cannot be copied separately from the rest of the embed text, so it must be typed by hand. Alternatively, you can just have https://player.vimeo.com/video/# ready to go and insert the number which can be found in any URL associated with the video.
Paste the URL into the Video URL box as seen above, test for quality, and you are ready to go!
Finalize your question
- The yellow box that appears will be where your video will go, type your question above or underneath the video box.
- Click Save & Continue.
- Enter the answer choices in the space provided. Answer choices are options a student may pick from in a closed-response (e.g., multiple choice) assessment; these include the correct answer and the distractors.
- Mark the correct answer by clicking the checkmark. It will turn green to indicate this is the correct answer.
- You may add an additional answer choice by clicking Add Choice.
- Click the red minus(-) icon next to an answer choice that you would like to remove. Use the arrow keys to move the answer choice up or down.
- You may enter a rationale for each distractor to explain why a student may have chosen a particular answer option. For example, if a student selects "B. 10" for the question "What is 8 + 12?" he might have forgotten to carry the "1". Entering a rationale could help other teachers who have access to the item in reteaching concepts missed. Click the Up Arrow next to Rationale to enter the rationale.
- Click Save.
If you assessment is going to be administered pencil/paper, please note that answer sheets only allow up to 9 answer choices. To learn more about scanning, check out the Lightning Grader FAQ.