In this lesson you will learn how to get started creating a Non-Traditional Selected Response item. This item type also allows students to use checkboxes to check all that apply.
Adding Standards and Publishing the Item are required to use the item an assessment.
Where to Start
- Select Assessments.
- Under Itembank, click Visit Itembank.
Create a New Item
- Click Create.
- Next click New Item.
- Select Next.
You may also start from the Items tab. Then click Create Item.
- Select Non-Traditional Constructed Response from the drop down menu.
- Click Teacher Instructions to type instructions for the teacher (e.g., Read the question aloud to your students) if applicable.
- Enter the Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- Use the tool palette for special formatting. To learn more check out the Item Toolbar Overview.
- Click Save & Continue.
Teacher Instruction will only appear on the Teacher Booklet. They will not appear in Online Testing or the Student Booklet.
- You will now be able to enter your answer choices in the boxes provided. Changing the black check to a green check indicates that the answer choice should be checked, is True, Correct, or Yes.
- Answer Choice Scoring allows you to determine how this item will be automatically scored. Answer Choice Scoring should only be changed when using Checkboxes.
- At least one correct answer choice option can be chosen to get this question correct - This means students can choose any one of the correct answers to receive full credit or 1 point.
- All correct answer choice options must be selected to get this question correct - This means students must choose all of the correct answers in order to receive credit.
- Scoring is point based - Students receive a point for each correct choice and lose a point for incorrect choices.
- Under Selected Response Choice Option, you have several response options:
- Checkboxes enable students to check all answer choices that apply.
- The Yes/No, True/False, and Correct/Incorrect options enable students to determine the validity of each answer choice provided. Changing the black check to a green check indicates that the answer choice should be checked, is True, Correct, or Yes. More than one answer must be True, Correct, or Yes when using these options.
- Click Save.
Non-traditional Selected Response Items are best suited to multi-part questions. If creating a simple True/False question with only two answer choices, please use the Multiple Choice Item.
A rubric allows for partial credit scoring on an item. To add a rubric click Create Rubric.
- Enter a Rubric description in the space provided (optional).
- Click Add Rubric Level to add additional point values.
- Click the minus to remove Rubric Levels.
- Enter which response corresponds to the desired point value.
- When done, click Save.
If you add a Rubric to a Non-Traditional Selected Response item, you must enter at least one response into the spaces provided. Failure to do so will cause an error in Online Testing.