This lesson will guide you through the process of creating a Drawing Response Item in the Illuminate Itembank. This means you can create question that requires students to draw a shape, map coordinates, etc.
Where to Start
1. Click on Assessments.
2. Under Itembank, select Visit Itembank.
Create a New Item
1. Click Create.
2. Next click New Item.
3. Select Next.
Note: You may also start from the Items tab. Then click Create Item.
1. Item Type- Select the item type you are creating, in this case Drawing Response.
2. Click Teacher Instructions to type Teacher Instructions (e.g., Read the question aloud to your students) if applicable.
Note: Teacher Instructions are only viewable on the Itembank Teacher Booklet.
3. Stem- Type your question in here (request for a shape, mapping coordinates, etc.).
4. Click Save.
If you want to add a Background Image to a Drawing Area:
5. Click Choose File and select the image.
6. Set dimensions of the image.
7. Click Save.
Rubrics are required for drawing response items. When the item is completed and then added to an assessment, the question will be scored by manually choosing the correct score from the dropdown in Administration > Enter/Edit.
1. Add a performance level to your rubric by clicking Add Rubric Level. If you plan to use this question on an assessment using an answer sheet that you will scan in using Lightning Grader, your rubric can only have 8 levels.
2. Enter the rubric performance level criteria.
3. Click the red minus (-) icon next to a criteria that you would like to remove. Use the arrow keys to move the criteria up or down.
4. Click Save once you have finished, then go to the Details tab.
Note: You can also create multiple rubrics for questions that have multiple parts. When added to an assessment that you publish to Illuminate, a three-part question would create three separate questions in your answer key and subsequent answer sheet (1A,1B,1C) and a question group (Question 1) for reporting.
1. Choose the bank where the item will be stored. The Public item bank is an Illuminate Education community-driven bank where items contained in that bank are accessible to any user. If you only want your item available to you, choose -None-. Districts may create their own banks to add to this list. Please contact our support team for assistance.
2. Select the Language used in the item (i.e., English, Spanish, German, or French). The red asterisk (*) next to Language indicates this field is required. Mark No or Yes to Exclude Stem from displaying to students. For example, an item may contain a passage that should be read aloud by the test proctor but should not be included in the test booklet for students to view. The red asterisk (*) next to Exclude Stem indicates this field is required. Also required is the Response Language, as in what language the students should be responding in.
3. If the item requires a specific layout format that should not be changed, pick the Layout Format for the item: 2 Column, 2 Column Table, Full Page, Distractors Side By Side, Distractors Horizontal 2 by 2, or Distractors Vertical 2 by 2.
4. Insert a Page Break before or after the question if needed.
5. You can enable student tools such as a Ruler or Calculator or add more specific item details like PARCC Claim or SBAC Claims and Targets. You can also Label items for easier searching. (ie Unit 5, Lit - Mark Twain Quiz)
6. Upload a Reference Material for students to reference during testing. If a question needs something like a Periodic Table, Formula Sheet, etc. you can add this as an image file and students will be able to access it when answering the question in online testing.
7. Click Save, then go to the Standards tab.
1. Select the standard type, subject and grade level for the standard(s) you will be linking to your item. As make your selections from the dropdowns, the standards will be loaded on the page below. To find a specific standard by key word or standard code, use the search box and then click Search.
2. You can click the arrow symbol beside each standard title to expand the strand or sub-strand and see the standards grouped beneath.
3. Select the standard(s) by clicking on the standard title. Once linked, you will see a chain link show next to the linked standard(s).
4. The standard(s) you selected will appear under Linked Standards. To remove a standard, click the 'X' next to it. You can continue to search and select more standards as needed.
You may preview your item by going to the Step 5 View tab. The item preview will show the item step, distractor, correct answer (answer option letter is in green), aligned standard code, and other item information.
For Drawing Response Items, you will see a blank box where students will draw their response. If there is a background image, you will see that image in your preview.
Note: This preview does not display in the specific item layout that you may have chosen in the Details step.
Publish is the final step of the item creation process. Prior to publishing, if you would like to make changes to your item, go to the appropriate tab to make your edits. When you are sure that your item is in final form and can be made available to add to assessments, click Publish.
Note: Once an item is published, it will be locked from further editing. To edit the item after it has been published, a new revision must be created.
Also, once an Item is published, you can add it directly to an existing assessment by clicking on the 'Add To' button. This will populate a list of assessments you can add this item to with one click.
The Revisions tab lists all versions of the item (including the master item), that has been revised once published. Once an item is published and added to an assessment, any further revisions of that item will not be updated in the assessment unless a user clicks on 'Update Assessments using old Item Revisions'.
NOTE: If you decide to to this (For example, you realize that the answer choice was actually supposed to be A, not C) it WILL change all student scores associated with that assessment.When adding an item with several revisions to an assessment, the most recent revision will be used. To view an item revision, click on the number.