This lesson provides teachers with common troubleshooting tips and tricks in various areas of scanning with Lightning Grader.
Remember, not all cameras are created equal.
- Is lighting an issue?
- Is the form identifier (QR Code) correct?
- Is there bleeding? Are the bubbles too close?
- Is the answer sheet too big for the quality of the camera?
Check to see if the correct camera is selected in the camera drop down menu, check within Tools > Settings.
Not seeing an image when attempting to camera grade?
Check to see if the camera is selected in the camera drop down menu.
- Are the drivers for the document camera installed?
- Just did that? Restart the PC.
- Is the browser updated?
If your browser window looks similar to the one above, you are using a browser that is currently not compatible with Lightning Grader. Please select a recommended browser or download the recommended version.
If you are encountering a screen similar to this, please proceed to the next step.
If your camera is not automatically displaying in the scanning window, you will need to select Tools > Settings (right below the Lightning Grader window) and choose the corresponding camera from the dropdown menu. Once you have selected the camera, click Save Settings, and return to Scanning.
If you are able to select your camera and you are still not able to see an image, please skip down to the next step.
On occasion, a preferred camera may not appear in the dropdown. There are several reasons why your camera may not be appearing:
- The USB cable is not securely connected to your computer. If you are using a Document Camera, make sure you have the USB cable plugged in and not just the VGA cable.
- Switch USB ports. Be sure to connect to a USB port on the back of a desktop computer, not in the front. If using a laptop, try another port.
- Reboot your computer. Depending on the point in time you plugged in your camera, your computer may not see it.
- Verify your camera works correctly. Try using your camera with another program (i.e. Skype), but make sure you exit this program before trying to use Lightning Grader again. If your camera does not work with another program (i.e. Skype), please contact your District or Tech department for further assistance.
Still not able to see an image? Please proceed to the next step.
If the camera is being used by any other program it will not show up in the scanning window. Similarly, multiple open tabs or browser windows can hide a previously open scanning page. In both instances, exiting all programs is the best way to ensure that the camera is not in use.
If you are seeing the "Failed to Load Module" popup please check your browser version. Lightning Grader currently supports the version 61+ on the Chrome browser.
Please check other programs (Skype, Photo Booth, etc.) on your computer that use the camera. If it is not working with the native programs, it will not work with Lighting Grader.
If you haven't cleared your cache in a while, it may be time to do so. Following these instructions https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/32050?hl=en-GB you can clear all of that stored information that has been accumulated over the years. You can uncheck the Cookies and other site data and Browsing History so that you are not logged out of all of your programs.
Browsers sometimes have issues due to updates that require a restart. If it has been a while since you closed down your browser, try a restart. Maybe it will fix other issues you are having as well!
We have noticed that sometimes the Failed to Load Module issue requires a complete system restart. Please save all of your outstanding work before restarting your machine.
First time user? The first time you visit Illuminate with Lightning Grader enabled, you will want to accept permissions to allow the browser to access your camera.
This usually occurs in the form of a pop-up on the top left of the browser when you visit the Lightning Grader camera page.
If, for some reason the pop-up never appears or you believe the browser is blocking access, please follow the steps below to remedy the situation.
If you see the image above in your browser, then your browser is probably denying access to your camera. Please use the following steps to enable access in your browser. This applies to both Mac and Windows OS.
1. Lightning Grader currently only supports the Chrome browser. Please double check that you are in Chrome before continuing.
2. In the URL area of Chrome, please click on the Camera icon.
3. This should open a popup that will allow you to select “Always allow https://yourdistrict.illuminateed.com to access your camera”, Select Always allow and click Done. Please make sure that you do this for each camera, if you are using your webcam and a document camera.
4. Refresh the page and the camera plugin should now load. You can now begin grading.
- Try accessing the scanning page using a Chrome Incognito Window. In the browser toolbar, click the vertical dots icon and click New Incognito Window.
- Try clearing the cache and cookies from your Chrome browser. If you need assistance see Google's document here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Test if your camera is compatible with Lightning Grader here: https://test.webrtc.org/
If your camera is compatible you will see the image below.
- Use the Chrome Cleanup Tool to make sure that software running in the background is not preventing camera access (make sure your camera is unplugged when using this tool): https://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/index.html
- Close any programs or tabs that may be accessing the camera. If the camera is being used by any other program it will not show up in the scanning window. Similarly, multiple open tabs or browser windows can hide a previously open scanning page. In both instances, exiting all programs is the best way to ensure that the camera is not in use.
Sheet Fed Scanner
The most common reason to get this status is because the assessment includes a Constructed Response question (Teacher-Graded) and the questions needs to be reviewed in order to assign points.
If the status of Sheets Need Review appears in the status for file uploads and you have graded the appropriate items, here might be why:
1. The Student ID is obscure or does not match a student within the school. First, filter to show only sheets needing review. To fix a Student Id issue, simply select the correct student in the dropdown. As always, ensure you have auto-save selected or click save once the correct student is assigned.
If it was an unreadable QR Code then you will be brought to the page above. This can also happen if the QR code is obscure or cutoff.
- Click Try Again to open a popup that will allow you to fix this notification.
- A Page ID appears on the right side of the page and can be copied and pasted from the Original PDF (you can only copy the page ID from the original PDF). The Code is good for any sheet in the assessment as long as it is the same assessment.
- Click Try Grading Again and the page will be resubmitted for grading.
You can fix the students selection by editing the answer in the text box or you can manually mark the sheet as reviewed if the student did in fact fill in too many answers. Select Mark As Reviewed when complete.
Not seeing student work on the Enter/Edit page after uploading a PDF or grading with a camera? Follow the steps below!
First, please check to see that you are using the newest version of the Enter/Edit page.
If your Enter/Edit view looks like the one above, you need to click Try it out! in the yellow banner at the top of the page. This will enable the newest version of this page and allow you to see your students’ work.
The best view to use is by Student, especially for constructed response questions - this view allows you to see the constructed response area on the answer sheet with what the student wrote down.
So, after clicking Try It Out and confirming you're on the By Student view, your Enter/Edit view should now look like the image above. You should now be able to see and score PDF and camera graded images of your students’ work.
Need more assistance with scanning troubles? Contact your Site IT or Administrators, Email us at email@example.com.