This lesson will guide you through exporting or moving assessment scores from one assessment to another. This is useful when teachers accidentally enter data or administer the wrong assessment, and the student scores need to be moved to the correct assessment.
If you would like to import or bring in outside scores into a new assessment in Illuminate, visit Import Student Response Data into Manual/Hybrid Assessments.
Where to Start
- Go to Assessments.
- Click View Assessments.
- Select the assessment with incorrect data.
Access the Student Responses Report
- Click the Overview tab in the assessment.
- Click the blue number of students tested. This will also take you to the Student Responses report.
Download / Export Your Data File
Scroll down to the section Download Raw Student Response Data. You have two export options:
- Click the Excel Student Response option if you plan to make changes to your file, then re-save the file as a Comma, Tab, Semicolon, or Colon-delimited file.
- Click the Tab-delimited Student Response option if you do not plan to make changes to your file.
- A pop-up will appear and the file will be saved to your computer.
Access the Import Page for the Correct Assessment
- Access the correct assessment.
- Click the Administration tab.
- Click Import.
Upload Your File
- Select the file delimiter that matches your file (Comma, Tab, Semicolon, or Colon).
- Click Choose File. Select the file from your computer.
- Click Upload.
Map the columns in your file to the columns in the assessment:
- Select your Local Student ID column in the Student ID field.
- Select your Date Taken column if your file contains this data. If your file does not contain a Date Taken date, choose your default Date Taken date.
- Select one column of response data (typically Question 1) as the First Student Response Column.
- Check that your columns are mapped appropriately, then click Import.
- After pressing Import, you will be re-directed to the Student Responses report and see the above message. Refresh the page and scroll down to verify student scores are visible.
Troubleshooting Tips and Tricks
What if a student ID is listed twice on the same file, but the data differs between the two records?
The same student can only have one set of answers for an assessment. Thus, if you accidentally upload a file that features the same student ID multiple times (but with different response data), the last record on the file will be added, overriding any previous records (for example, data on row 23 for Student ID #12345 will override data on row 12 for Student ID #12345).
You can keep the data in the original assessment if there are constructed response questions. Student constructed responses entered via online testing cannot be moved from one assessment to another at this time. Otherwise, you can delete the student scores from the original assessment by viewing the guide Delete Student Data from a Manual/Hybrid Assessment.
After importing assessment scores, view your results using any of our Assessment Prebuilt Reports.