This lesson guides users through exporting student constructed responses from an assessment. This is useful when users would like to print copies of students' written work from an online assessment.
This tool only works for CR item type. This does not include other CR types, for example, CR EXP.
Where to Start
- Go to Assessments.
- Select View Assessments.
- Select the assessment title to export data for.
Access the Student Responses Report
- Select the Overview tab in the assessment.
- Select the blue average % correct. This will also take users to the Student Responses report.
Download / Export Your Data File
Scroll down to the section Download Raw Student Text Response Data. There are two export options:
- Select the Excel Student Response option to open the file in Excel (recommended).
- Select the Tab-delimited Student Response option to open the file in Excel or another text editor.
- A pop-up will appear and the file will be saved to the device.
Open and Re-Format Your File (Suggestions)
- When users open the file for the first time, the file will look like the image above.
- Users can select a cell, then copy and paste the contents into a word processor (ex: Microsoft Word).
- Users can use tools in Excel such as Wrap Text to re-format the cells in the file.
- Raw text responses for Math Equation items do not export well and extra characters are included in the Excel sheet. This is due to the vendor we use to render math equations (Math Jax). We recommend viewing math responses using the Enter/Edit page at this time.
You can also enable Assessment Review Settings so students can view their assessment results by logging into the Student Portal. Learn more via the guide Enable Assessment Review Settings.