The LTI Integration is an interoperability platform by IMS Global. It is a way to connect with other programs and provide fluid data on Illuminate Assessments into other tools. The current LTI integrations are versions 1.1 and 1.3 with 1.3 being the newest version with enhanced security.
How LTI Works
It's important to understand how LTI works, and what it does and does not provide. Illuminate is an LTI tool provider, which means that LTI tool consumers - often SIS's or LMS's - can create Illuminate assessments as assignments within their systems. These assignments are then seen by students in the consumer platform, who can then open either an iFrame or a new tab, automatically signing them into Illuminate to take the assessments. A single, final score is passed back (LTI does not support standards-based scores).
There are several requirements for LTI to work:
- a tool consumer that supports LTI, which is set up with Illuminate credentials, and configured to pass back grades
- matching student and teacher email addresses in both the consumer and Illuminate
- a workflow that starts with the student clicking into the assignment from the consumer
This last requirement is important. For a grade to be pushed back to the consumer, the student must have first clicked into the Illuminate assessment from the consuming platform. As such, assessments taken by students who navigated directly into Illuminate cannot have their grades pushed over after the fact.
Where to Start
- Select Administration Options or the gear icon.
- Under Other, choose either LTI Integrations or LTI Integrations 1.3.
LTI Tool Credentials
- Select the platform to integrate.
- Select the checkbox to confirm the agreement.
- Select Get LTI Credentials.
- Select Cancel to go back.
Retrieve the Credentials
- Use the copy icon to copy the information onto the device clipboard. This will be pasted into the tool that will be created in the third party vendor.
- If needed, Generate a New Secret key.
This is the information needed required by the vendor selected inorder to complete the integration. Due to vendor instructions being subject to change without notice to us, we unfortunately cannot provide detailed instruction on each platform. Please contact the vendor if additional information on the set up process is needed.
Teacher Tools & Support
Once the connection is set up, teachers may link assessments to the vendor's platform.