This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Evidence Based Selected Response (EBSR) Item using NEW Item Bank. EBSR items are multi-part questions that are automatically scored. Partial Credit is supported in assessment creation.
Where to Start
- Select Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Select Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select ESBR as the item type.
- Enter the Item Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- To insert a line break in the Stem, use shift-return (or shift-enter, depending on the keyboard).
- Enter the anser choices into the text boxes and select the radio button to indicate which answer choice is correct. It will highlight in pink.
- Repeat these steps for Part B.
- To have fewer available answer choices, select the Trash Can to remove an answer choice.
- Select Add Choice to add additional answer choices.
The maximum number of choice options is 5 for both parts.
Drafted items are automatically saved.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, select the Three Pages icon.
- To link a Passage to the item, select the Book icon.
- To add Tags to the item, select the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as Choice Labels, Locking the Choice Order (enabled by default, and Enabling/Disabling Teacher Instructions, and Rationale.
Users must link at least 1 standard when creating an item. If attempting to publish an item without standards, an error message will appear asking for standards to be aligned before publishing again.
- Select Item Preview to see a preview.
- Use the drop down menu to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by selecting a response.
- Select Check Answer to verify the answer key.
- When users are done creating/editing their item, select Done.
- To make the item available to use in an assessment, select Publish.
- To save an item that's not yet ready to publish, select Save Draft.
- To delete the item, select Discard.
Once items are Published, users can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
This item type support Partial Credit in Assessment Creation. Users will choose between SBAC scoring (all-or-nothing) or conditional scoring (2 pts for both sections correct, 1 pt for part A only correct, and no pts for part B only correct or no part correct).
Now that you have created a Multiple Choice item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.