This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Multiple Select Item using Illuminate's NEW Item Bank. This item type allows for multiple correct responses to a presented question. Partial Credit is supported in assessment creation. These items are automatically scored.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Multiple Select as the item type.
Multiple Select Items
- Enter the Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- To insert a line break in the Stem, use shift-return (or shift-enter, depending on the keyboard).
- Enter answer choices into the space provided. Click the boxes for the appropriate correct answers, which will highlight in pink.
Drafted items are automatically saved.
A limit of 9 choices may be added to Multiple Select items.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as Choice Labels, Locking the Choice Order, and Enabling/Disabling Teacher Instructions, Item Stem, and Rationale.
Users must link at least 1 standard when creating an item. If attempting to publish an item without standards, an error message will appear asking for standards to be aligned before publishing again.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by selecting one or more answer choices.
- Click Check Answer to verify the answer key. Correctly-selected answer choices will be indicated with a green checkmark. Both incorrectly-selected answer choices, and answer choices that should have been selected but were not, will be indicated with an orange X.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren’t ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item click Discard.
Once items are Published, users can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
This item type supports Partial Credit in Assessment Creation. This means scoring based on how many correct responses there are with deductions for choosing incorrect answers.
Now that you have created a Multiple Select item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.