This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Multiple Select Item using Illuminate's NEW Item Bank. This item type allows for multiple correct responses to a presented question. These items are automatically scored.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Multiple Select as the item type.
Multiple Select Items
- Enter the Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- Enter answer choices into the space provided. Click the boxes for the appropriate correct answers, which will highlight in pink.
Drafted items are automatically saved.
A limit of 9 choices may be added to Multiple Select items.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as Choice Labels, Locking the Choice Order, and Enabling/Disabling Teacher Instructions, Item Stem, and Rationale.
Users must link at least 1 standard when creating an item. If attempting to publish an item without standards, an error message will appear asking for standards to be aligned before publishing again.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by selecting one or more answer choices.
- Click Check Answer to verify the answer key. Correctly-selected answer choices will be indicated with a green checkmark. Both incorrectly-selected answer choices, and answer choices that should have been selected but were not, will be indicated with an orange X.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren’t ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item click Discard.
Once items are Published, you can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
Now that you have created a Multiple Select item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.