This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Constructed Response Item using Illuminate's NEW Item Bank. This item type allows for students to type a response to a prompt and must be manually scored.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Constructed Response as the item type.
Constructed Response Items
- Enter the Item Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- Use the dropdown menu to select the maximum number of Points.
- If the lowest possible score for the item should be 1 rather than 0, mark the Exclude zeros checkbox.
- Use the space below each point value to enter Rationale.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as enabling an Equation Editor, Item Stem, Teacher Instructions and editing the Response Area Size.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor Role.
- Test the item by typing in a response.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment, click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren’t ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item, click Discard.
Once items are Published, you can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
Now that you have created a Constructed Response item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.