This lesson reviews how to create a NEW Item Bank Assessment. This provides a content bank of items and the ability to create your own items to build an assessment.
This feature is only available for those who have access to the NEW Item Bank. Contact your Customer Success Manager for details.
Where to Start
- Select Assessments.
- Select Create Assessment to see all of your assessment creation options
- Select the Item Bank assessment tile.
I don't see NEW?! This means you have the legacy Item Bank assessment tool. Please refer to Legacy Item Bank Assessments for guidance.
Create a New Assessment
- Enter an Assessment Name into the text box.
- Select Create.
Until published, this assessment is considered unpublished or a draft. If you were to return to your Illuminate account, you can find this assessment in View Assessments under Draft Item Bank Assessments.
- Select Browse to search and find items or questions available to you from a variety of banks.
- Use Filters to refine the search of items by Standards, Item Type, and Depth of Knowledge. To edit what filters are available and what order they appear in, select the Gear icon.
- Use the checkboxes to select content from the filters to filter by.
- Select Edit Base Standards to update your standard selections.
- Select + Add Item to add the item to your assessment.
- Item Added will appear for all items that have been added to the assessment.
- The Assessment Summary will display the number of items added to the assessment. Select Assessment Summary to view a breakdown of items on the assessment by Filters.
Any standards that need to be passed from Browse Items to Build Items on the assessment need to be in the Base Standards list. New Item Bank will only copy standards from items to assessments for standards that are listed in the Base Standards list. Otherwise, the standards will need to be re-added to the item on the assessment.
- Select the Build tab.
- Select the different View icons to adjust the item layout.
- Select + Question Groups (Optional) to add items to a pre-made grouping.
- If Question Groups have not been created, take a look at Enabling Question Groups on New Item Bank Assessments to learn more.
- Select Standards to view standards of that item.
- Use the slider to lock (Optional).
- When an item is locked, it is only accessible to users with the permission Itembank - Lock, Unlock, and use Locked items.
- Enter an item Weight into the textbox (Optional) .
- If the item type supports Partial Credit, select the Scoring icon to adjust to scoring type.
- Partial Scoring is OFF by default and would need to be enabled for each item.
- This cannot be altered after the assessment is Published.
- This does NOT retroactively affect any previously published or administered assessments.
- Take a look at Items Types: Overview and Best Practices for Using to view supported item types.
- Use the 3 dot menu to Edit, Duplicate, Delete the item or add Extra Credit.
Assessment Settings (Optional)
- Select the Gear Icon.
- By default, the General tab will be open.
- Use the dropdown menus to select tags for the following categories:
- Assessment Year
- Grade Levels
- Use the calendar icon to select the First Date Administered.
- Use the slider to Lock All Items.
To add Question Groups, take a look at Enabling Question Groups on New Item Bank Assessments.
- Select Done, when all items have been added.
- Select Publish to make the assessment available for testing.
- Select Save Draft to continue working on the assessment later.
- Select Discard to delete the assessment.
Once an assessment is published, the Partial Scoring setting cannot be altered. An assessment must be duplicated and Partial Scoring changed there.