This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating an Explicit Constructed Response Item using Illuminate's NEW Item Bank. This item type allows students to enter a response and is automatically scored when given online.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Explicit Constructed Response as the item type.
Explicit Constructed Response Items
- Click inside the Define Template text entry area. Type in the text that will make up the body of the item.
- To insert a a Response Area that students will need to fill in, position the cursor at the desired location and then click +Response Area. A question can include one or more response areas.
- Type an accepted response into the space provided and then click the +to add to the list of responses. Repeat this process until all answer choices have been entered.
- If alternate answers are going to be accepted, select the original response from the dropdown menu.
- Type an alternate accepted answer in the space provided. Repeat as needed.
- If other answers can be accepted, click Add.
- To remove an alternate response, click the Trash Can icon.
Drafted items are automatically saved.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as Enabling/Disabling Teacher Instructions, Item Stem, and Rationale.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by typing a response into the Response Area(s).
- Click Check Answer to verify the answer key. Correct responses will be outlined in green, incorrect responses in red.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren't ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item click Discard.
Once items are Published, you can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
Now that you have created a Multiple Select item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.