This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Math Equation Response Item using Illuminate's NEW Item Bank. Math Equation Response items provide students with an equation editor to respond to a question and is automatically scored.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Math Equation Response as the item type.
Math Equation Response Items
- Enter the Prompt. The prompt is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- Use the dropdown menu to select which Grade Level Equation Editor should be attached to the item. The selection made here will be provided both to you as the author to enter the correct answer, and also to students who are taking the item on an assessment
- Use the dropdown menu to select a Validation type.
- Literal Validation means that with certain exceptions, the student’s answer will need to be identical to the “official” correct answer to be recognized as correct.
- Symbolic Validation means that if the student’s answer is mathematically equivalent to the correct answer, it will in most cases be recognized as correct.
- Use the on-screen equation editor and/or the keyboard to specify the “official” correct answer. Depending upon the Validation selection and certain other item settings, a Math Equation Response may accept answers that are not identical to the “official” correct answer.
- If alternate answers are going to be accepted, click Add Alternate. Repeat as needed. This step may not be needed depending on the Validation type.
- Use the Checkboxes to demetermine if you'd like to Allow Thousands Separators (Commas) and/or Allow Extra Spaces in student responses. This step may be necessary depending on the Validation type.
Correct answers for Math Equation Response items work best with mathematical values (ex. x/2 + ). This item type is not recommended for equations or inequalities (ex. x = 3 or x < 4).
Drafted items are automatically saved.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as Enabling/Disabling Feedback, a Prompt, and Rationale.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by using the equation editor to enter a response.
- Check Check Answers to test whether the response you have entered is recognized as correct. An incorrect response will be indicated in red.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren't ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item click Discard.
Once items are Published, you can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
Now that you have created a Math Equation Response item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.