This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Hot Text Item using Illuminate's NEW Item Bank. This item type allows for one or more Tokens to be selected from provided content based on the presented question/task. This question is automatically scored.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Hot Text as the item type.
Hot Text Items
- Enter the Item Stem. The stem is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- Click where it says Enter Content. This is where you will enter the content that will include selectable Tokens.
- Define the Tokens (selectable chunks): Words, Sentences, or Paragraphs. Alternatively, you can define Tokens manually by selecting text. Any selection will be converted to a Token.
- Click Set correct answers to choose what Token(s) are correct.
- Tokens will appear in yellow. Click on the correct answer, which will be highlighted in green. More than one selection can be made.
Drafted items are automatically saved.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as Highlight Choices and Enabling/Disabling Teacher Instructions and Rationale.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by selecting one or more Tokens.
- Click Check Answer to verify the answer key. For any correct response, the highlight color will be changed to green, while for any incorrect response, the highlight color will be changed to orange.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren't ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item click Discard.
Once items are Published, you can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
Now that you have created a Hot Text item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.