This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Hot Spot Item using Illuminate's NEW Item Bank. This item type allows Hot Spots to be overlaid on an image. These Hot Spots will be possible selectable responses to an indicated prompt. These items are automatically scored.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Click Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Hot Spot as the item type.
Hot Spot Items
- Enter the Prompt. The prompt is the beginning part of an item that presents a problem to be solved, a direct question, or an incomplete statement to be completed, as well as any other relevant information.
- Use the dropdown to select what color the Hot Spot will be: red, blue, or yellow.
- Use the dropdown to select what color the Response Outline will be: red, blue, or yellow.
- Upload an Image to be the background for your Hot Spot.
- Hot Spots are limited to rectangles aligned with the screen (e.g, not at a diagonal). To specify a hot spot, click once where you want one corner of the rectangle to be, move the cursor to where you want the opposite corner to be, and click a second time.
- Repeat these steps to create the desired number of Hot Spots.
- Click on one of the Hot Spots to indicate it as the correct answer; it will be marked with an outline in the Response Outline color selected.
- Click Undo to undo your last action. Click Clear All to remove all Hot Spots.
Supported image formats include PNG, BMP, and JPG. For best results, choose an image file that can be used at its native resolution; if an image needs to be made smaller or larger, this can be done by specifying the desired Width and Height (in pixels). These settings can also result in image distortion, so use with caution. Be sure to upload your image prior to creating the Hot Spots.
Drafted items are automatically saved.
- To link a Passage to the item, click the Book icon.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, click the Three Pages icon.
- To add Tags to the item, click the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available to edit per item such as allow for Multiple Correct Answers, Enabling/Disabling the Prompt, Rationale, and Teacher Instructions.
Users must link at least 1 standard when creating an item. If attempting to publish an item without standards, an error message will appear asking for standards to be aligned before publishing again.
- Click Item Preview to see a preview.
- You can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by selecting a response.
- Click Check Answer to verify the answer key.
- When you've completed creating/editing your item, click Done.
- To make your item available to use in an assessment click Publish.
- To save an item that you aren't ready to publish, click Save Draft.
- To delete your item click Discard.
Once items are Published, you can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.
Now that you have created a Hot Spot item, learn about Creating a NEW Item Bank Assessment.