In this lesson, you will learn about the CORE SEL Surveys which were written by and have been provided free of charge to Illuminate users by our partners at the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL).
CORE Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Surveys are available to be installed to your Test Admin account upon request by emailing email@example.com.
There are four surveys included within the CORE SEL bundle:
CORE Elementary Student Survey Fall 2019-20
CORE Elementary Student Survey Spring 2019-20
CORE Secondary Student Survey Fall 2019-20
CORE Secondary Student Survey Spring 2019-20
The elementary surveys are identical, as are the secondary surveys. They are meant to be administered at the beginning and end of the school year to show growth.
Do not duplicate these assessments. The prebuilt reports are dependent on Illuminate installed assessments.
The questions are Non-Traditional Selected Response or multiple select items, which means students will need to be reminded to pick only one answer even though the online test will allow them to pick more than one.
The best way to review CORE Survey information about your students is by CORE Domains, or question groups, in your assessment setup. Each domain has it's own performance band that can be assigned to help evaluate a student's SEL growth.
All About CORE SEL
- Families face increased economic and social pressures
- Children are exposed to an increasingly complex world through media and have unmediated access to information and social contacts through various technologies. In many communities, there is less support for and involvement in institutions that foster children’s social emotional development and character (Weissberg & Durlack, 2015)
- Today’s educators face the major challenge of educating an increasingly multicultural and multilingual group of students from racially, ethnically, and economically diverse backgrounds.
- Teachers, student-support staff, and community agencies serve students with different abilities and motivation for engaging in learning, behaving positively, and performing academically.
- It has been estimated that 40 to 60% of U.S. high school students across urban, suburban, and rural schools are “chronically disengaged” (Klem & Connell, 2004).
- The life conditions of children have changed dramatically during the last century (Weissberg & Greenberg, 1998; Weissberg, Walberg, O’Brien, & Kuster, 2003).
- There is broad agreement that today’s schools must offer more than academic instruction to prepare students for life and work (National Research Council, 2012).
- Increasing number of state and local educational agencies adopting social and emotional learning standards (Durlak et. al., 2011)
- ESSA At least one “non-academic” measure included in accountability
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Santa Ana
- Garden Grove
- Long Beach
- Sacramento and Riverside counties (coordinated through their County Offices of Education)
- San Bernardino City Unified School District
- A consortium of districts in the Silicon Valley (the East Side Alliance coordinated by the Silicon Valley Education Foundation)
- Sweetwater Union High School District
- Aspire Public Schools, Green Dot Public Schools
- Oxnard family of schools
Yes. Each district has agreed to administer the SEL CORE Survey during the Spring and submit results to CORE.
Yes! CORE has provided their two surveys. CORE has also reviewed and provided feedback for scales/groupings.
Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning or CASEL conducted a 2017 Meta-analysis Case Study on Promoting Positive Youth Development Through School-based Social and Emotional Learning Interventions of Follow-Up Effects (213 studies 270,000 K-12 students)
- 9% improvement in attitudes about self, others, and school
- 23% improvement in social and emotional skills
- 9% improvement in classroom behavior
- 11% improvement in achievement test scores
- 9% decrease in conduct problems, such as classroom misbehavior and aggression
- 10% decrease in emotional distress, such as anxiety and depression
Yes, but they are not in our system and not set-up for reporting. For a fee you can research and purchase the following outside of Illuminate:
- Quality Research-Based Commercial Measures:
- Devereux Early Childhood Assessment (DECA)
- Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA)
- Social Emotional Assets and Resilience Scale (SEARS)
- Social Skills Improvement System Rating Scales (SSIS-RS)
- Behavioral and Emotional Rating Scale (BERS-2)
- Search Institute - REACH Framework
- TESSERA Non-Cognitive Assessment System
Want CORE SEL Surveys? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get your surveys installed.
Ready to administer CORE Surveys? Visit Online Testing for Teachers to get started!