We understand many schools may face unplanned circumstances requiring closures or adjustments and it can be tough to unexpectedly face a changing learning environment. This document will review some options for changes to your existing setup in ISI.
Attendance Setup when Switching to Not In-Session and Not Entering Attendance
To reflect school as closed so that Illuminate does not expect attendance, you can adjust your calendar to not in-session days. Here are the steps for reference:
- Delete any attendance that may have been taken for the closed day(s) in mass using Mass Attendance Updates.
- Create a new, not in-session day type with the name Emergency Closure or other name of your choosing. The steps for doing that can be found in our Create, Edit, Delete Day Types help document. Note: If you already have an existing not in-session day type you'd like to use, you can skip this step.
- Apply that new day type to the appropriate day(s) on your calendar(s). The steps for doing that can be found in our Calendar Setup help document.
Attendance Setup when Keeping Calendar In-Session to Enter Attendance
If attendance entry is still expected, school calendars should remain set with in-session day types. If your bell schedule is different, meaning there will be a change in which timeblocks/periods are expecting attendance, here are some steps for reference:
- Create a new in-session Day Type for this unique schedule. The steps for doing that can be found in our Create, Edit, Delete Day Types help document.
- Add Timeblock Occurrences for the periods that will need attendance entered. The steps for creating occurrences can be found in our Create and Edit Timeblocks and Occurrences (Periods and Bell Schedule) help document. Note: You would not need to create new timeblocks if your new bell schedule is still going to include your existing timeblocks/periods. Only new occurrences would be needed to adjust which timeblocks/periods are available on which day types during your set times on your days of the week.
- If for any reason you are not planning on using existing attendance flags, you may consider creating new ones. See our Set Up Attendance Flags help document for reference.
- If attendance is to be entered in mass by admins rather than by teachers, this can be done using Mass Attendance Updates. See our Mass Attendance Updates help document for reference.
Feel free to review our full Attendance Setup Checklist.
Attendance Reporting for a Specific Date Range
If you are needing to run apportionment reporting for a specific date range, our Daily ADA report can support this. See our ADA Report help document for more information.
Unsure of How you "Should" Take Attendance?
For guidance on how you should report attendance (whether to stay in session or close and not take attendance), if would benefit you to reach out to the state. Illuminate is a software company and can assist with set up in Illuminate, but the state would be the appropriate resource for additional guidelines on what is expected for reporting.
Secondary Report Cards in Portal
If you are unable to physically print and provide secondary report cards to students, you may set up report cards so they are accessible in Student and Parent Portal. See our Create and Manage Secondary Report Cards help document for reference.