This lesson provides information on the new Third Grade Retention Collection file for MSDS.
What is Third Grade Retention?
The Third Grade Retention Decision Component is used to capture district retention decisions for third grade students who are subject to retention per the Read by Grade Three Law.
When is this Component Required?
Per Michigan documentation: If you district has third grade students who are subject to retention per the Read by Grade Three Law, then this component is required to be submitted in the Third Grade Retention Collection that takes place during the summer.
Data will be collected from Students > Retentions/Promotions
- Select Grade Level
- Select Academic Year (if reporting for 2019-2020, select 2019-2020)
- Select Site
- Select Promotion or Retention
- If Promotion is selected in Step 4, then select a Promotion Reason
- PR1 - Student Portfolio
- GCE1 - IEP
- GCE2 - 504 Plan
- GCE3 - English Learner
- GCE4 - Previously Retained
- GCE5 - Enrolled Less Than Two Years
- GCE6 - Parent Request
- "End of Term Status" will come from the "Retention or Promotion" field
- "Promotion Reason" will come from "Promotion Reason" and include the options listed in Step 5 above
If a third grade student is subject to retention per the Third Grade Reading Law, and has been promoted to fourth grade, please choose the reason why the student was promoted to fourth grade.
Promotion Reason is required when the End of Term Status is "Promoted."
Promotion Reason cannot be submitted when the End of Term Status is "Retained."