This document reviews how to create Dwellings in Illuminate for ISI clients.
How to Add a Dwelling - Option 1 (Most Common)
1. Click to Add a Contact or click on the Edit option next to a Contact
2. If the address you are wanting to link to a contact is not one that is listed when you click "Select Residence," then you will start to enter the address in the Address fields. Note: If the address you are wanting to type shows in the drop down menu, it's possible the address already exists as a Dwelling in Illuminate. Select the address in the drop down to avoid creating a duplicate Dwelling. Spelling is important... A slight difference in spelling, capitalization, or abbreviation can create a new Dwelling.
How to Add a Dwelling - Option 2 (Less Common)
1. Go to Admin Cog Wheel > (Student Contacts) Dwellings
2. Click on New Dwelling in top menu:
3. Enter the address information for the new Dwelling:
- Local Dwelling = Dwelling ID (optional if you are wanting to create a specific Dwelling ID, otherwise leave blank for system to auto generate an ID)
How to Edit an Existing Dwelling
To avoid creating a duplicate dwelling by editing the address within the Edit Contact workflow, Dwellings should be edited by going to Admin Cog Wheel > (Student Contacts) Dwellings.
Search for the address as specific or broad as you'd like
Select the Dwelling you would like to edit.
Enter/update the changes > click Save:
Note: All households this dwelling is linked to will show in a list under "Households" with a clickable link to view the associated data.
Editing Dwellings in this way will edit that specific Dwelling ID, which means it will update all student contact data linked to that Dwelling ID.
Create Dwelling Blocks
Dwelling Blocks are zones, grid codes, school of residence, etc affiliated with the student's address. The concept of a Dwelling Block is that, for any one Dwelling Block, there is one Elementary, one Middle, and one High School associated to it. Whichever addresses are tied to that Dwelling Block, those are the "default" schools the students from those addresses should be going to.
- If a student's address is mapped to a Dwelling Block (which has schools affiliated), depending on the student's current grade level, the rollover script will determine the next grade level and place the student into the appropriate school that matches that grade level. See the rollover process help document for more details.
- District boundary checks
Dwelling Block Setup
The district establishes their Dwelling Blocks outside of Illuminate. Many districts for example have a dwelling block 'map'. Each block or area within the district boundaries is issued a Dwelling Block ID. Not all districts have done this work.
Once the Block ID's are set, typically they give us a mapping for each address that we then manually import. Which Dwelling Blocks ID's correspond to which addresses?
For example:1234 Main Street = ID XXX
Associate Additional Addresses and Manage Blocks
To affiliate an address to a Dwelling Block, please navigate to Admin Gear > Student Contacts > Dwellings
To manage Dwelling Blocks and its' school affiliations, please navigate to Admin Gear > Student Contacts > Dwelling Blocks.